Is it true a frostbitten comb makes a rooster sterile?

I agree with what moduckman says. I dub all of my Gmae roos and they stay fertile.
smile.png

Quote:
This is more in line with how the world of medicine works, I think it is more realistic to believe infection and fever over comb hormone storage.

AL

I personally do not think it is a stupid question.
hmm.png

There are lots of things we hear. Which ones are true? No need to make others feel bad because they ask a question. Remember we are here to help each other.
smile.png

I had a severe case last year (this was my first year of having a rooster with a comb, my others had peacombs and no wattles so....), he lost all of the points and was left with a mow-hawk! He was still fertile. Now I have heard that while they are recovering they are not fertile, that the body is concentrating on getting the frost bite healed up! ( I do not know if that is true or not) I wish all of my boys had pea or cushion combs. I put petroleum jelly on all of their combs and wattles and still had some bad cases. I have a friend who said hers got bit last year and his comb grew back! I am not going to call her a liar. My roosters did not grow back.
Good luck to you. Here is a pic of my mow-hawked rooster. He had many offspring.
wink.png

HPIM4948.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it is is permanent. Because of the injury, the roo may not feel like "getting it on" with the girls until he heals. I think the main concern is risk of infection than could lead to death if it is untreated.

I have roo that got frostbite on his comb and I dubbed him. I've been hatching babies from him for over a year since then.

Good luck!

Ask any doctor. Inability or unwillingness to err... perform and infertility are TWO utterly different categories. One behavioral. The other physical.

I don't buy infertility due to damaged comb unless there is a huge fever/infection, systemic involvement.

His testes aren't in the thing, they aren't going to be harmed if it freezes or is dubbed.

While from a production standpoint the temporary point is the same - roo isn't servicing anyone, they're pretty darn different.

Many many things like this are said, and believed by poultry old timers. Unfortunately these are the same guys who put it in the pot the moment they realize the extent of the frostbite, death being permanent infertility.

Hard to prove otherwise.

Many things like that are said about other species and other old wives tales. That it's been said for a hundred years really does not make it true.

As most who have had one survive and let it recover have pointed out - they're quite fertile.

We've been sort of superstitious and uninformed in our pasts, including misinformation handed from generation to generation.

It's a way to get good info, it's also a way to get bad.

So...we all agree...getting frostbit and the process to recover can lead to infertility due to fever and infection...so...old wives tale partially proven...not true is that it is permenant...there is facts in them old farmer's theories
wink.png

Quote:
that is the keyword here,,"rumor"..

I bought a rooster a few years ago who refused to go into a coop..
he roosted in the pine tree.

his comb and all of his toes were gone.. I can still pick out his offspring and he was snatched by a nighttime predator 6 years ago..

now tell me ,littlefarm,,what do you believe at this juncture?

.jiminwisc.......

My roo is getting the mowhawked look as his points are falling off.

I had several weeks of unfertile eggs, but I found one today that was fertile, so they will start back up doing their thing.

Back
Top Bottom