Is it vegan to hatch chicks?

Beare02

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2021
This may be silly to ask but is it ok to be vegan and hatch chicks? I’ve been vegan for three years and before that I’ve hatched chicks before. I don’t eat their eggs my family do and i just love the other breeds. I’ve hatched polish bantams, Ayem cemanis, light Sussex’s and have some battery hens. Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. :) 🐥 Edit: thank you everyone for the quick replies and the kindness with them! My mum laughed and said I was going to get slated for asking so I appreciate everyone’s kindness

Last edited:
This may be silly to ask but is it ok to be vegan and hatch chicks? I’ve been vegan for three years and before that I’ve hatched chicks before. I don’t eat their eggs my family do and i just love the other breeds. I’ve hatched polish bantams, Ayem cemanis, light Sussex’s and have some battery hens. Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. :) 🐥
Welcome to BYC!!!

Welcome Wagon.gif

I don't know for sure, but I think it would be fine!

I'm trying to think of a way that hatching chicks could be considered 'not vegan'. I suppose if you were hatching them with the purpose of butchering them or eating their eggs or they were in a not ideal environment it would violate the vegan ideology. But I think you're probably fine.

I'd lump it in with keeping another animal as a pet. Is it ok for a vegan to have a cat or dog as a companion? I'm guessing yes, because I've seen it first hand and they're unapologetic about it.
Yes you’re right. Even though I’m vegan, I would never but my dogs/cats on a vegan diet. I worry too much of what people think and couldn’t find anything on the internet about this subject. Aha Thank you :)

This may be silly to ask but is it ok to be vegan and hatch chicks? I’ve been vegan for three years and before that I’ve hatched chicks before. I don’t eat their eggs my family do and i just love the other breeds. I’ve hatched polish bantams, Ayem cemanis, light Sussex’s and have some battery hens. Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. :) 🐥
It is totally vegan to hatch eggs

The only problem I could potentially see is what to do with the unwanted males that you hatch out. If you can't keep multiple roosters yourself, are you willing to let other people eat them? If so, you'll be fine. If not, finding homes for roosters where they get to live out their full lives can be very hard.

The only problem I could potentially see is what to do with the unwanted males that you hatch out. If you can't keep multiple roosters yourself, are you willing to let other people eat them? If so, you'll be fine. If not, finding homes for roosters where they get to live out their full lives can be very hard.
If you lived closer I would take the roos maybe build a rooster coop for them no hens no fighting I have 17roosters in my batchler coop I love them thats what I do with mine and my rescues

Back
Top Bottom