Is it worth it..

Is it worth it to have adult birds shipped?
Yes and no...
You miss out on the adorable cuteness but you don't have to worry about getting a male.
It's much more expensive to have an adult bird shipped but sometimes it's worth the money if the breed is rare or not available in your area. And generally the minimum number required to buy is less than if you get chicks.
I ordered a Jubilee Orpington aged about ten weeks, and it cost around $100. But I really wanted that particular breed, so it was worth it (to me...not my family!).
You have to decide whether you want a certain bird or more money in the bank :)!

I don't mind shelling out the money for shipping if they're a quality breeder with good quality stock. Not being NPIP would make me hesitate, since, as JacinLarkwell mentioned, she shouldn't be shipping over state lines without anyway. NPIP certs at least demonstrate the breeder cares enough to allow for the inspections and tests required to remain certified and guarantees your birds will be coming from a clean flock. I rarely buy from non NPIP certified flocks, especially when talking adult birds. When I do though, I'd at least like to have an idea of the environment they're coming from, which of course isn't always possible.

Just my 2 cents. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do order a lot of birds. :oops:
Yeah, I don't think I'm going through with it. That NPIP thing scares me a bit. They are in CA or OR so no chance of going there to see. I really think Ill stick with what I've been doing and ordering from places that are NPIP for hatching eggs or ordering chicks from Cackle. If there is a color I want that I can't get in Texas or from someone NPIP I'll just have to put in the work to get it the old fashioned way.

Don't worry about NPIP, worry about how she takes care of and feeds her birds. NPIP is worthless because the flock test and form is good for a year. But wild birds, rodents, and even flies can infect your birds and the incubation period is only from a day to 10 days.

So, basically, you can get your flock tested free on Mar. 1, 2024, then have a rodent or a fly or a wild bird infect your flock on Mar. 2, 2024, collect eggs for hatching on, say, Mar. 15, 2024, and have every egg infected by "vertical transmission", then have some of the chicks survive, and be able to sell them as "NPIP TYPHOID AND PULLORUM FREE".....

You could sell Typhoid and Pullorum affected carriers for an entire year because that's how long your NPIP certified flock lasts. Sounds like BS doesn't it? Maybe because it is. It's not to protect the US from Typhoid or Pullorum. It's to have control of and know where chickens are being sold outside of the commercial industry. That's why NPIP people need your name and address if you buy from them. I'd stay as far away from NPIP flocks as possible. But, that's just me. :)
You do realize if you’ve ever ordered chicks online or bought them in a feed store, you’ve bought from NPIP certified flocks, right? You are correct—any of these things can happen at any time. That’s why it’s always best for anyone to use proper quarantine practices when adding new birds to their flock(s) regardless of certification. While not a gold stamp, an NPIP cert is at least a good first step in identifying a good quality breeder when going into something blind—like having chicks shipped cross-country.

As for addresses, I’ve bought birds from a few local NPIP breeders, and they do not require your address. Chickens are not a regulated species. Captive-bred migratory waterfowl, which is one of my other habits, is a different story.

So, after researching the woman that has the birds I've come to another option. She's a big time breeder and more credentials(?) are adding up for her. So maybe sometime in the future I'll buy birds from her.

Found all the info on the her farm Random Rosecombs. Show records back to 1990s. When I'm able to foot the bill again for a trio and I can quarantine properly I think I'll get some birds from her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom