is it worth it?

wvgal61

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Troutman, nc
I had an opportunity to buy about 45 hens that are right at 1 year old. They really didn't want to sell and now they are again wanting to sell them. She hasn't been feeding them much laying pellets and just giving them bread and letting them find what they can. Not really free ranging because they are in a run that is about 20 by 50 feet. They yolks are really soft and break as soon as the egg is cracked. They don't taste as good as ours do. (we may just be a little predigest
tongue2.gif
since they aren't ours yet) lol My question is if I buy these hens will the feed I feed mine help the eggs to be better? They are about the same age as mine. We also find ours worms about everyday. They may be a little spoiled.
wink.png

Last edited:
How much are they asking for them? Are you sure that they are only a year old? Any good quality chicken feed would be better than eating nothing but bread. They probably are really low on protein and if they are all good and healthy will probably thrive in your care.

Edit: Sonew typed faster than me. Didn't intend to repeat the cost question.
tongue.png

Last edited:
She is asking $100.00 for them. they are a mixture a pair of Minorca bantams, EE, RIR, a few blacks not sure the breed of them, some glwd and I don't know what else. They got them about the time I got mine. They are still getting about 30 eggs a day.

Quote:
Thats cheap-if they are healthy but just a little food deprived Id do it-Can you keep them seperate from yours for a bit to make sure they are healthy-Thye probably have low immune systems from not being fed properly:-(

I would say no. 100.00 sounds like they are malnourished with only getting bread. I would pass my self, especially since I would hesitate what you might bring home disease wise. I've been wiped out in the past by bringing home strange birds.

Before we bring them home we will set up another lot for them. They really look pretty healthy. They came running when I walked in to the run. I think I'll take the chance if they don't change their mind again. The lady broke her foot the other day and can't really tend to them. Their only child is grown and they want to travel so they really don't want to be tied down. If I get them I'll post pics.

Personally, if I had the room... I would. You would be saving their lives and isn't that worth something?

Yes, they layer feed would drastically improve their production. Their eggshells would improove too. Like I said though... isn't saving them worth some money? $100 isn't a bad deal.

Back
Top Bottom