Is layer feed really essential?

I live in Phoenix and it's very hot in the summer I feed them lay pellets but the girls are plucking and eating feathers and over all their feathers don't look healthy. I ask the guys at my local feed store about switching to a healthier maybe organic feed he replied that it was to hot here any suggestions on giving them a healthier diet

Hmm, I don't understand what your local feed store means about an organic feed being bad because it is too hot for your climate. That makes no sense. It's like saying that ladders aren't good to climb inside your house during winter in Alaska. ?!?!

Does your feed store even carry organic feed? If not, that maybe the source of their answer (ie, they don't "believe" in organic foods).

That said, either your girls are going through a molt or they are picking each other's feathers. If the latter, they may be picking feathers due to not enough protein in their diet. 16% protein is considered a bare minimum amount of protein for laying hens. Many people feed the 16% layer feed AND lots of kitchen scraps. Most kitchen scraps are very low protein and so their 16% protein diet goes down to 11-12%, or even lower. When they go on for long with too little protein, they will start seeking out other sources of protein. Chicken feathers are about 80% protein.

A lot of people (myself included) feed a higher protein feed (17-20%), which layer never comes in that high. Maybe you will find a 17% layer feed. So feed a grower or chick starter and like the OP said, add a dish of crushed oyster shell on the side. That way they get enough protein (even if you feed scraps) and they get enough calcium to lay eggs.

I am no expert but I would say no, layer feed is not essential.

I am myself questioning the way I feed my flock recently.. but I've kept my layers for a year now and they really don't have layer feed all the time. Most the time they are on chick starter + fermented feed.
They free range a lot.
They go to my compost pile and eat the eggshells, so I suppose they "control" their calcium intake.

It seems to work because I had only 3 eggs without shells and they lay almost daily, except in winter.

Hmm, I don't understand what your local feed store means about an organic feed being bad because it is too hot for your climate. That makes no sense. It's like saying that ladders aren't good to climb inside your house during winter in Alaska. ?!?!

Hahahahha!!! Hilarious.

Maybe there is an ingredient in there that would turn sour. If it's organic it probably doesn't contain any preservative to enhance the shelf life.
Maybe even it is just to be true to the bag. Example if it says contains 8% vitamin E and that vitamin is degraded by heat, the food you serve the chickens could have 1% vitamin

Just a guess! I have no idea other than that.

Last edited:

Does your feed store even carry organic feed? If not, that maybe the source of their answer (ie, they don't "believe" in organic foods).

That said, either your girls are going through a molt or they are picking each other's feathers. If the latter, they may be picking feathers due to not enough protein in their diet. 16% protein is considered a bare minimum amount of protein for laying hens. Many people feed the 16% layer feed AND lots of kitchen scraps. Most kitchen scraps are very low protein and so their 16% protein diet goes down to 11-12%, or even lower. When they go on for long with too little protein, they will start seeking out other sources of protein. Chicken feathers are about 80% protein.

A lot of people (myself included) feed a higher protein feed (17-20%), which layer never comes in that high. Maybe you will find a 17% layer feed. So feed a grower or chick starter and like the OP said, add a dish of crushed oyster shell on the side. That way they get enough protein (even if you feed scraps) and they get enough calcium to lay eggs.
Thanks I will try the higher protein. The feed store has organic but I feel they push their own feed. I also think it has to do with it making the hens hot when digesting not exactly sure though but I will ramp up the protein and see what happens. Thanks again

Here in Puerto Rico we don't have many feeding options. Nothing organic for example. All the feed comes from the states so is expensier. We get the layer, growers, one that is 30 % protein (most used in rosters), and corn. Once I saw a 50 pound bag of oats and it was like 50 or 60 dollars.... I have never seen one again. When I had my milking goat I supplemented a lot with raw goat milk mixing it with the feed or making it in yogurt, but I don't have her anymore . My hens used to free range all day long but the stray dogs ended that freedom until I'm able to make stronger fences AND electrify them. So until then I only let them out If I'm there to supervise. I'm trying to improve the feeding options for them so I will start fermenting the feed and see if it works. Right now I switched to the 30% mixed with corn (75% feed and 25% corn )and calcium on the side. And I started to ferment this mix. Hope it helps improve the feathers and their condition in general. Any Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom