Is my broody going to be a bad mother??

meekcl

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 12, 2017
I have a broody hen who has been fiercely protective of her eggs. The eggs started hatching about 48 hours ago. Everything was great yesterday. Today I found her in a different nest box, and she had left her chicks behind. I got her back in the right nest box with her chicks and thought all was well. There were still eggs that were not hatched, yet. I went back out later, and she was out of the box and on the ground with some of the chicks, and some were left behind in the box. So, I took the chicks out that were still in the box and put them down with mom and other babies. Then mom got back in the box on the unhatched eggs, and she left all the babies behind on the ground! I don’t know what to do! Do I put the babies back in the box with her? Do I wait and see if she’ll come back out? Since it’s been over 48 hours, should I remove the unhatched eggs, and maybe that will get her to come out and stay out? I’m getting concerned that the babies need food and water soon. They have access currently, while they are out, but I need them with mom to keep them warm, obviously!

I would just remove the chicks as they hatch and brood them myself. She should continue to hatch the rest hopefully. Pull any as they hatch. Not all hens know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom