Is my chick’s poop normal?

Zizi262

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2024
I’m new to raising chicks and we had a really hard time when these came in. One of them pooped this watery poop and I’m worried it’s not normal. Can someone tell? Please ignore the other normal stepped on poop by her sisters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 28
Hello! They are about 9 days old. And yes I give them both chick starter and fresh water twice a day. Most are very active except one who is a bit of a tiny, she is still active but seems to get colder easily.

This morning however they all appear to have very water poop.
They did go outside for the second time and nibbled at some dirt and plants. So they could just be adjusting, but I’m worried it was a lot on their digestive system. I gave them probiotic water and electrolyte mix earlier that morning. We also have very dry soil where we live.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpeg
    IMG_1025.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1023.jpeg
    IMG_1023.jpeg
    672.6 KB · Views: 15
Hello! They are about 9 days old. And yes I give them both chick starter and fresh water twice a day. Most are very active except one who is a bit of a tiny, she is still active but seems to get colder easily.

This morning however they all appear to have very water poop.
They did go outside for the second time and nibbled at some dirt and plants. So they could just be adjusting, but I’m worried it was a lot on their digestive system. I gave them probiotic water and electrolyte mix earlier that morning. We also have very dry soil where we live.
I also should add that when they poop what makes it watery is that it is excreted with clear liquid.

The one on the left looks a lot better. I'd keep them on probiotics, removing all other sources of water so they get enough of it in their systems. I would do fresh water/probiotic water every other day for a week or so, and that should show improvement.

The one on the left looks a lot better. I'd keep them on probiotics, removing all other sources of water so they get enough of it in their systems. I would do fresh water/probiotic water every other day for a week or so, and that should show improvement.
Thank you!!!! I didn’t realize raising chicks would be so nerve wrecking. I feel like a worried mother 😅

I'd provide them with chick grit as well.

If you are really concerned, you could treat for Coccidiosis since they are 9 days old and have been outside. Being outside and exposed to dirt/environment is actually good for them.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

I have some questions along this line as well. Have some new chicks, the oldest around 10 days old. I have seen this poo 2 times now, but don't know who is doing it. They've not been outside at all. Only have starter food and fresh water. Should I be concerned? Doesn't seem natural to me. Thank you for any assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom