Is my chick hatching okay?

JacobH28

Chirping
May 6, 2023
Senoia, Georgia
I have a chick that has almost hatched. It has occasional movement and it is pecking out of its shell pretty frequently. There is no movement in the egg currently, although sometimes it bumps its egg a slight bit. Should I be concerned? Is it alive?

Hard to say. About 24 hours from crack to hatch is not unusual. I had one egg that took about that long too and got worried.
I read an article on assisted hatch. Decided to pull of a tiny bit of little egg scale around the cracked opening when the broody was of the nest for a moment. And I put a moist tissue in the nest box to prevent that it got too dry.

The chick was quiet at that time too. Maybe tired/sleeping a bit.
It hatched an hour or two later.

Cracking started yesterday, but significantly more cracking has been done this afternoon. My mom said she heard chirping but then it stopped. Haven’t seen any movement since.
Can you take a clear picture of the egg now?

Can you take a clear picture of the egg now?
Unfortunately, it was no longer breathing when when I got home to see the egg, even though it was visibly breathing 1 hour ago. I gave it a little bit longer to see if it would by some Miracle start breathing again. We have already disposed of the chick and egg. Thanks for your help though.

Back
Top Bottom