Is my chick in pain?

Thank you! I ordered just that, our local store didn't have any in stock nor the "poultry drench" stuff. They advised me to make my own and I mixed some salt in warm water with a bit of molasses. I hope that's OK.

Tried giving it to my chick but she won't drink. I dipped her beak in and she licked up the water droplet on her beak but still didn't drink. I can't get her to eat either. Tried adding a bit of molasses to her feed, no luck. Even tried using a syringe/dropper to get some in her beak but I couldn't open it and didn't want to harm her. Any ideas here? I am so worried about her :(

She's sleeping 98% of the time. I separated her from the goose, but the gosling will not stop crying. I sear, he never sleeps. Tons of energy, jumps and runs around...

The last ditch effort would be tube feeding but I've never tube fed a chick- not sure if the puppy feeding tube would be too big- I'm sure someone else on here would know... I'm afraid the chick is likely on its way down- they should be running around all over the place looking for trouble. I guess the other thing would be- and this would also have to be administered orally- Corid just in case she's got coccidiosis complicating things. But if she's not interested in swallowing that might be a moot point.

Yes, there are good homemade recipes for electrolytes, and definitely good in a pinch.

I would get the gosling a new friend - probably another waterfowl if the same place you got them from still has friends the same age. You might inquire if they have a baggie of feed they'd be willing to sell you until the other stuff arrives.

The last ditch effort would be tube feeding but I've never tube fed a chick- not sure if the puppy feeding tube would be too big- I'm sure someone else on here would know... I'm afraid the chick is likely on its way down- they should be running around all over the place looking for trouble. I guess the other thing would be- and this would also have to be administered orally- Corid just in case she's got coccidiosis complicating things. But if she's not interested in swallowing that might be a moot point.

Yes, there are good homemade recipes for electrolytes, and definitely good in a pinch.

I would get the gosling a new friend - probably another waterfowl if the same place you got them from still has friends the same age. You might inquire if they have a baggie of feed they'd be willing to sell you until the other stuff arrives.

I will try to feed her again. I have some eggs in the fridge, should I give her some raw yolk? Should it be cooked? Is there any other way I can encourage her to try to eat something?

I'll also look for a smaller dropper, but I am not sure how to feed her properly and don't want to "drown" her.

The feed I ordered is "medicated" and should be here by the afternoon tomorrow via Prime 1-day shipping. That will take care of any possible "coccidiosis" issues, right?

I will try to feed her again. I have some eggs in the fridge, should I give her some raw yolk? Should it be cooked? Is there any other way I can encourage her to try to eat something?

I'll also look for a smaller dropper, but I am not sure how to feed her properly and don't want to "drown" her.

The feed I ordered is "medicated" and should be here by the afternoon tomorrow via Prime 1-day shipping. That will take care of any possible "coccidiosis" issues, right?

I would do a soft scrambled egg and see if that appeals. See if joining the gosling for a bit and offering them both food (the egg) cheers her up - loneliness might be setting in. Watching other eat can stimulate them. Have both egg and water readily available in case she perks up and wants to imitate her buddy.

Feeding by dropper is tricky- sugar water in the absence of poultridrench might help - I'd be hesitant to give her the salt solution at every attempt. I aim for the side of the beak- with any luck she'll tip her head up to swallow- but be prepared for most of it to land in front of her.

Another idea would be to try the "Kaytee Baby Bird" product for tube feeding- PetSmart usually carries this in the parrot section- and they might have a puppy feeding tube also - I've done it with adults- mix the baby bird powder with enough water that it flows through the holes in the end - the folks at this thread might have other ideas for a bird as small as yours. The Kaytee isn't complete nutrition for baby chickens- but at this point ANY nutrition is better than none.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

If coccidiosis has anything to do with her condition, immediate treatment will give the best result. It can take them down really fast- which I kinda think she would have been done if it was coccidiosis at this point, but yes, the food (if medicated) would handle it.

Hello!

Yeah, everything looks and feel alright. Sometimes the silkie holds the wing out a bit to where it looks "off", but doesn't appear to be in more pain if I take a look at it.

I have been feeding them lightly moist bread, tiny diced apples, and a dry grit (but the goose always soaks it, so wet grit)

She seems about the same size, but it's hard to tell under all that fluff, and I've only had them for a few days.

No pasty butt. A bit messy sometimes but wipes right off, stool is on the liquid side.

I don't know the temp, but I have a lamp down at one end and it's a long bin. Food and water are at the colder far end. They usually prefer the middle and huddle around there because that's the "sweet spot" for them.

Yes, she usually falls right asleep if I cuddle her. Not this time, still seems very distressed. Could the gosling have hurt her? Whenever she walks away and tries to sleep, he comes over and nips at her because he wants to sleep next to her.
Your starving it to death giving it bread and apples. Its probly crying because it needs food

You need to start giving them both scrambled egg, and keep doing that until they get proper food. Also, yes, they're probably both lonely, but if you put them back together one or both will get hurt.

Do you have any other poultry?

Where did you go that let you buy 2 baby birds without proper food? Tractor Supply has a minimum purchase for chicks and hands out care sheets with them.

You need to start giving them both scrambled egg, and keep doing that until they get proper food. Also, yes, they're probably both lonely, but if you put them back together one or both will get hurt.

Do you have any other poultry?

Where did you go that let you buy 2 baby birds without proper food? Tractor Supply has a minimum purchase for chicks and hands out care sheets with them.

Definitely wasn't saying put them together and leave them that way- I was suggesting that the chick seeing its friend eating might prompt it to want to eat.

Back
Top Bottom