Is my chicken sick or could it be stress?

BluebellChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2018
Hi everyone, this could be quite long as there's quite a lot to tell so apologies in advance!

EDIT: Spice has unfortunately died. She started to perk up, but then started to whistle through her nose and then seemed to have a fit/ stroke/ seizure. I'm very confused and have no idea what could have cause it. All other chickens are fine, and show no signs whatsoever except Pumpkin (Spices sister). I'm starting to think it's something genetic or to do with how they were cared for before we got them.

I'll start at the beginning. We bought 3 bantam chick/ adult hens from our local country store about a year or so ago now. I say chicks/ adults, because not even the people in the shop knew how old they were but were feeding them chick crumb still. Not long after we got them, we noticed one was quite quiet and stayed away from the rest of the group. Unfortunately when the weather got cold she couldn't handle it and died.

Since then the two that were left were fine. Occasionally Spice (the one I'm talking about today) would look a bit off but nothing major and would perk up within a few hours. It usually happened when it got very cold or very hot.

We moved house about 3 months ago, and the entire flock (13) went off their food. I put it down to stress, changed their food and they all picked up again after a couple weeks.

We're in the UK, and as you may know it's been incredibly hot. I've lost one of my cockerels to the heat (I believe) already. Spice is now showing signs of not dealing with it too well, but Spice is a lot worse.

-Yellow / very pale combs & wattles (Spice is very very pale, where as her sister is barely noticeable)
-runny poos, almost completely water
-tail down/ droopy
-not eating as usual (this could be due to the heat though)
-not drinking a lot
- not laying as usual (again, this could be due to the heat as none of them are laying regularly like before)
- This morning when I opened the coop, Pumpkin ran out quit happily but Spice stayed on the floor of the coop and didn't move. When I went to move her she hobbled along (I'm not sure how she could have hurt herself, yesterday she was fine and has no sign of injury) and sat back down on the grass. That's when I decided to take her inside and keep an eye on her.

I now have her in the washing basket next to me. When I picked her up I noticed her crop was quite full, despite not having eaten a lot and not since yesterday. I have given her water but not food, and have massaged her crop a little.

I can't decide if it's stress related because of the heat as the others are eating and laying less too, or if she is actually sick. Could it be impacted crop as they tend to eat the grass a lot, but I haven't noticed as she's not filled her crop fully? She's a little more lively now I've massaged her crop, but I've not known impacted crop to make their combs go yellow. Could it be both impacted crop and the heat? Also, could it be genetic/ due to their feeding when at the shop, as two out of three have had problems?

I appreciate any input! I'm not able to get to a vet until much later, and even then it's a 30+ minute drive and if she doesn't absolutely have to go I don't want to stress her out more.

Last edited:
Hallo,
I’m sorry to hear about your poorly hen - have your flock been wormed recently?
We wormed them just after moving thinking it could be the reason they were losing so much weight. Unfortunately Spice just had some kind of fit/ seizure and has died. She was perky and livening up, and then started whistling through her nose, then it was almost like she was stretching? I'm very confused, it's all happened very quickly as she was fine a couple days ago.

I can’t see that being fed chick crumb could have caused any issues. There are way more knowledgeable people here in that subject than me - but I think one only get issues the other way - ie feeding chicks layers pellets I understand causes kidney damage.

I’m sorry Spice has died - are the others healthy or do they have the same symptoms?

I’ve never experienced yellow combs in my flock.... to me as a human yellow signals liver issues - I’m sorry I cant be more helpful.

My hens are struggling with the heat this year, and I’m also aware we’ve wormed very frequently, more like 3 monthly than six - I think the lack of rain has had the hens grazing lower to the pasture & we’ve had more parasites as a consequence.

I can’t see that being fed chick crumb could have caused any issues. There are way more knowledgeable people here in that subject than me - but I think one only get issues the other way - ie feeding chicks layers pellets I understand causes kidney damage.

I’m sorry Spice has died - are the others healthy or do they have the same symptoms?

I’ve never experienced yellow combs in my flock.... to me as a human yellow signals liver issues - I’m sorry I cant be more helpful.

My hens are struggling with the heat this year, and I’m also aware we’ve wormed very frequently, more like 3 monthly than six - I think the lack of rain has had the hens grazing lower to the pasture & we’ve had more parasites as a consequence.

We have one last hen that's showing signs, but so far it's mainly just a very pale comb. The others are all fine and normal. We've now got a vitamin & iron drink to add to the water and have sprayed the coops for mites and anything else that could be lurking. I plan on worming them again soon too just in case. I'm hoping we're doing enough for them, we've had rain for a few days now so I hope that helps too.

Thank you for your opinion and input! It's a shame about Spice - she was my baby - now we need to concentrate on Pumpkin and make sure she doesn't suffer the same fate :( My first thought was liver problems too, but I've since read that it could be a sign on anemia so I'm a little lost on it. If she's not better in the next 48 hours I think the vet will be necessary.

It been so hot - that and worms are my first reaction. We have one who is struggling, pale floppy comb, moving slowly, she’s lost a lot of weight. We are feeding cat food & bathing her daily and she’s hanging in there - today’s rains & storms have made such a difference the temperature has dropped and she’s noticeably more comfortable. But I’ve also just wormed them all - again!
We have a lot of other animals and the slow / no growth of grass due to the lack of rain has been a real issue for us - they’ve grazed very low to the ground & parasites have become a real issue this summer. I’m assuming it’s the same story for our hens. Could you have the same issue?

I’ve no experience at all here with yellow combs - but something that’s in the back of my mind... could it be liver fluke? I’ve never seen or heard of a yellow comb though... I’m just thinking liver problems. I believe chickens can be susceptible to liver fluke - would you have the right conditions?
I could be adding 2 + 2 and getting 5 though... I’m sorry - I really don’t know. I hope all the tlc you are giving her helps. Anemia can be a symptom of parasites?...
Good luck! I hope she rallies!

Back
Top Bottom