Is my chicken weird?

LadyHawk_2006

Songster
14 Years
May 18, 2008
Warwick, RI
Hi everyone! I'm a new chicken mommy, just adopted my first chicken a few days ago. I was told she was an easter egger, probably between 8-10 weeks old. Someone rescued her from a cat thinking she was a baby hawk and brought her to our wildlife center. When I saw it was a chicken and not a hawk, I immediately offered to give her a home. I quickly realized that she was hand raised by someone because she follows me and my husband everywhere, she snuggles with us, loves to be picked up. It's pretty funny. Well, she has started trying to sleep in strange positions, she will stretch out on her side. Do chickens usually do that or is mine just mimicking us after seeing us all stretched out on the bed or couch? Sometimes she stretches out more than this, also stretching out a wing and just laying there but this was the first pic I was able to get.

DSC02783.jpg

Last edited:
That is perfectly normal chickie behavior. This is not, however, an indication that your chickie is not wierd!!!! LOL I am pretty sure they all are with their cute little quirks.
smile.png

Take her outside to some dirt and let her have a dirt bath! They love to roll and stretch in the dirt and it is good for them!

She follows you around because, in her eyes, you are the flock. I have a solo rooster right now that I rescued, hes much to small to put in with my girls, so he lived in the house with us. Day one he was scared to death of us, day two, attacked like gum to a shoe LOL. Hes sitting on my sholder right now
big_smile.png

Glad to hear your enjoying your new little girl...oh and ya, she looks to be Americana to me.

She is not weird, just kinda lazy.
lol.png

My younger one this till I move them to a house where they have to start roosting on a perch. I have 2 standard Cochins that stretch out on their bellies with their necks out as far as they are stick them. The one I know is a girl even sticks her feet behind her in the same position. She seems comfortable.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom