is my coop big enough?

AnnaL

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
we made a coop for our chickens based on what we saw at the store and how many those advertised they'd fit.
it's a coop sitting on top of a run (the run extends out past the coop,so they'll have more snow free areas when it snows this winter) and we let them out for most of the daylight hours. I think it's 6x3x2.5ft, but we're going to attach a nesting box to the 3ft side, so it'll be a little bigger.
how many chickens would this fit? We have 6.

Thanks!

I have 1 buff orp, 1 black sex-link (pullet), and 4 australorps (1 cockerel, 3 pullets).

This picture is from right after we finished it, but my husband modified his plans while building, so some things ended up not working the way he wanted and we already have plans to change a few things (like making the run on the side taller).

I don't think this is going to be quite tall enough, or large enough for the breeds you have, especially the run, which is where they will spend most of their time.

thanks, I was thinking it might be a bit short after we saw some adults the other day. Fortunately they are out all day right now, so that gives us a little time to do the modifications.

Chickens are ground dwelling birds that sleep in trees. The height of the run is fine for chickens, the problem is that it may be inconvenient for you to work in there. How much that inconvenience bothers you is your personal preference. You don’t have to raise it for the benefit of the chickens.

How many chickens can fit in there is a very difficult question to answer. It depends on how you manage them, your climate, and many other things. It’s not just coop size but how much total space is available to them when they need it. You might follow the link in my signature to get my thoughts on that.

I don’t know what your winters are like, but if they can get out most days that will probably be big enough for 5 hens and one rooster, though it is small. If they are confined in there a lot, you may (or may not) have behavior issues and maybe poop management issues. That’s where the height of that run may be inconvenient to you, if you have to clean the poop out.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom