Is my hen REALLY BROODY?????

I have just one broody right now and she just lets out a growl when you go near. I have had a couple of white rock broodies that would eat you alive while they were nesting. But this hen just makes noise and doesn't even fluff up so I guess each hen is unique in their behavior.

The girls that are currently sitting are both French Marans, a black copper and her buddy, a wheaten... The wheaten is normally my most shy girl, runs from me like I'm gonna eat her! But not since she started sitting - very determined! - And, after I saw her scolding the B.O. hen, I decided I didn't want any of that!

I'm kinda new to chickens, almost 1 year, and these girls are the first broodies and hatch
yesss.gif

My 2 crazy broodies hatched their 1st egg today & tried to kill the baby. Luckily they were in the house & I caught them quickly. I grabbed baby & dabbed cornstarch on it's neck to stop the bleeding & laid it in the bator to recoup. They I grabbed 2 crazy banties by the legs & gave them an upside down ride back to the coop flapping, screeching & trying to bite me the whole way. They got told "No babies for you you bad mommies!!!" Then I took the other 7 eggs & put them in the bator. Now 2 are pipped & several are rocking. 1 was clear, but 7/8 isn't bad. Crazy thing is, it was the only baby from my own hens that they tried to kill...DUMB BIRDS!!!!

My 2 crazy broodies hatched their 1st egg today & tried to kill the baby. Luckily they were in the house & I caught them quickly. I grabbed baby & dabbed cornstarch on it's neck to stop the bleeding & laid it in the bator to recoup. They I grabbed 2 crazy banties by the legs & gave them an upside down ride back to the coop flapping, screeching & trying to bite me the whole way. They got told "No babies for you you bad mommies!!!" Then I took the other 7 eggs & put them in the bator. Now 2 are pipped & several are rocking. 1 was clear, but 7/8 isn't bad. Crazy thing is, it was the only baby from my own hens that they tried to kill...DUMB BIRDS!!!!
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

OK She's broody for sure. Only left the nest once yesterday. Now fingers crossed the eggs are fertile and good! I bought them from someone on craigslist.

Good luck. Hens know what they are doing so it should be good.

Mine was an excellent sitter, but squished by stepping on some of the babies as they were born, I think it was an accident. I pulled some to the incubator they were the only to survive.

I gave them back after they fluffed, and she is a fine momma.

Next batch I will probably let her try to hatch a few and take the rest to the incubator on day 20. Hopefully she'll learn to be more careful where she steps.

Back
Top Bottom