Is my pigeon lonely?

judybee

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Massachusetts
Is my pigeon lonely?

I rescued this little ferile guy around 20 days (s/he's about 70 days now).

She cooed and bobbed in front of a mirror the other day, but no idea if she's a boy or girl.

She loves /preens cuddles my hand, flies to my head, and coos when she hears me -- although is not crazy about me picking her up when she's not in her cage. Seems to like being stroked a lot

She loves to fly into the house and hang inside forever if a door or window is open. Otherwise, her cage is on the deck with an open door (except at night) and she has 18 chickens free ranging all around her.

Here are my questions:

-is she lonely? Are they flock animals, or is she ok for now on her own?

- she isn't very adventurous flying wise. I walk her to trees about the property, in the hope she'll mKe her way to a wild pigeon at the farm down the road, but she always flies right back to the cage.

- if I get her a companion pigeon, should I get one, or a couple/few?

- should they have the same coloring/be the same type/ be similar ages?

- does gender matter for companionship? (I assume it does for mating :)).

Last question- I live in the northeast. Is she ok in her cage without supplemental heat, without a mate, if her cage is protected from wind/covered?

And another last question! Any suggestions on pigeon sellers in MA or NH:)

Helping me work:

Thanks!!
Judy

bettinavoepel

:hugsfor rescuing the pigeon. Since it lost a wing, It is destined to live a caged life without flight. You letting it out to free-range in chicken run is ideal BTW.
I know that chickens can attack pigeons,,,, especially if pigeon is hurt. A healthy pigeon would easyly escape a chicken attack.
There is not much danger in pigeon droppings. You would take same precautions dealing with chicken droppings.
Your pigeon is shy, and it is a natural responce to a pigeon not raised as pet, and handled as young. In time, that may change, and he becomes more tame. Currently, is skittish because is injured. Does not understand that your treatment of wound is to his benefit. :idunnoJust imagine anyone else injured, that would rather be left alone, than have wound dealt with.
A pigeon can live a solitary life, and usually bond with you. If you do get another pigeon for company, things may go 2 ways.
If your pigeon is a male, and you get another male,,,,, they can start to fight. Not always, but a possibility.
If you get a female, then generally no fighting. Male and female usually bond:love
If you have 2 females, then bond is not amourous, but friendly, and no fighting.

Ask anything else.:thumbsup
WIISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Superb! My piggys actually are caged in the front mud room, 85% glass and on nice days the door opens to the screened in front porch... So the entrance is actually a screen door. The other door from the mud room opens into the house. They spend a good portion of nice days on the perches in the screen room... Hopefully I have unintentionally started their home set! Although right now they're on their towel snoozin on the couch and my new baby is practicing flying from the coffee table to the dogs rear end and back again!
If your pigeons fly out thru your doorway, they will easily return thru same. They will associate the doorway as way home. Pigeons do not think that they need a small port opening into loft made just for them. Any entrance will be fine to them. I actually think that a wide opened door is an easier way to homeset them. Way easier for them to figure out where entrance is.
smile.png

ohhhh no! they are just beautiful birds. cheeky two as i have found out. i had a homing pigeon turn up 2 days ago and hasnt left. cheeky thing walked in through my front door, went to every room of the house and has decided to stay. i have picked it up and cuddled it of course, taken it outside to set it free and it just stays sitting in my hands. i am a little confused as i thought they always found their way home

OK now I get the picture. Feral does not mean wild and mean... It just means born in the outdoors and not in someones loft. You can keep multiple pigeons of same gender as currently I have 4 males. They don't fight like roosters would. It is more of establishing a pecking order. After a while they just sit in their spots and don't bother each other. Pigeons of same gender will actually pair up and be friends. ( similar to people in civil unions.) Usually will happen when there is an overwhelming number of one gender. Guess it is for friendship and protection.
idunno.gif
It is good to have a partner for each of your pigeons. (ideal but never quite practical) They pair up and stay loyal to each other for life, or until one dies or is lost. Then they will find another mate. Pigeon keepers do separate their pigeons in an effort to breed certain ones together. They place them into cages and stay locked in. Eventually those pair up. (I don't have a time frame answer because I don't do such.) If you are planning to get multiple pigeons, then it will require getting large enough accommodations for them. (loft).

I unfortunately lost 2 adult and 1 baby squeaker 2 days ago. Raccoon got into my loft.. I accidental forgot to close the aviary for the night. My only female and a male were the 2 adult victims. Lil baby was only 2 weeks old and still unnamed.
hit.gif
sad sad sad........................ So now only 4 males left. I need to locate a few females, but am thinking to wait until spring. The new comers may home set , or split when they get a chance. I will try to have them pair up with the existing males and possibly have them make the loft their home. I don't want to mention on how many split on me. I have had my own pigeons born in my loft split on me. Some did return and are steady residents.. Others sought greener pastures I suppose. They are homing pigeons, so they will always yearn to return home. If I get young ones, then there is a better chance of home setting them.

Anything else you need to know, just ask.
smile.png
Hi there, I have a pidgeon here in our finca in Mallorca who lost a wing and now is in with the chickens until they attacked it very badly. Now I have to separate them. Should I get a mate for it? And how dangerous are the droppings? What´s the best way to remove the droppings from its cage? It´s very shy and after 3 months still doesn´t like me picking it up to put spray on its injuries from the chicken attacks. It has a large run outside its cage where it stays all day as the chickens are out in the fields and I let it out on the grass but have to watch it all the time. Appreciate any help you can give me. Many thanks.

Hi there, I have a pidgeon here in our finca in Mallorca who lost a wing and now is in with the chickens until they attacked it very badly. Now I have to separate them. Should I get a mate for it? And how dangerous are the droppings? What´s the best way to remove the droppings from its cage? It´s very shy and after 3 months still doesn´t like me picking it up to put spray on its injuries from the chicken attacks. It has a large run outside its cage where it stays all day as the chickens are out in the fields and I let it out on the grass but have to watch it all the time. Appreciate any help you can give me. Many thanks.
@cavemanrich gave great advice! If you want to get your pigeon a companion, you could check out local shelters, which sometimes get abandoned domestic pigeons, or see if any nearby wildlife rehabilitators have unreleasable feral pigeons up for adoption. Or you could even check Craigslist.

Your pigeon is most likely not a feral . but a home raised pet. You mention that you try to introduce her to trees and she flies back to cage. Most likely not that lonely since she does not try and succeed escaping.. You first need to determine if it is a female. If you know someone that has pigeons, then it is easy. Bring in a known male pigeon... If the 2 start fighting, then you have a male... If they start smoooooching ,, then you indeed have a female. An experienced pigeon keeper will be able to determine gender by watching behavior. Generally females are slightly smaller then their equal males. Pigeons are cold hardy birds, you may keep on your deck, but do provide sufficient quantity of food so pigeon has calories to burn. Also provide water that is not frozen. Keep out of drafts for best . If extreme cold overnight, you may consider moving cage indoors or garage. Daytime in the outdoors with natural light is Ideal. Check Craigs' list for peeps selling pigeons in your area. I keep pigeons, racing homers, but only as pets and I don't race. I do let them free range fly. Pix are in my collection of photos.
Wishing you best... Ask all that you do not know..
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Rich!
I found her in a parking lot around 19-20 days old, fallen from a high nest we couldn't get her back to, and worried she'd be run over by morning.. I think definitely ferile...
But super sweet now :).

Can you keep multiple male pigeons together, if there are multiple females? Thx!
Judy

OK now I get the picture. Feral does not mean wild and mean... It just means born in the outdoors and not in someones loft. You can keep multiple pigeons of same gender as currently I have 4 males. They don't fight like roosters would. It is more of establishing a pecking order. After a while they just sit in their spots and don't bother each other. Pigeons of same gender will actually pair up and be friends. ( similar to people in civil unions.) Usually will happen when there is an overwhelming number of one gender. Guess it is for friendship and protection.
idunno.gif
It is good to have a partner for each of your pigeons. (ideal but never quite practical) They pair up and stay loyal to each other for life, or until one dies or is lost. Then they will find another mate. Pigeon keepers do separate their pigeons in an effort to breed certain ones together. They place them into cages and stay locked in. Eventually those pair up. (I don't have a time frame answer because I don't do such.) If you are planning to get multiple pigeons, then it will require getting large enough accommodations for them. (loft).

I unfortunately lost 2 adult and 1 baby squeaker 2 days ago. Raccoon got into my loft.. I accidental forgot to close the aviary for the night. My only female and a male were the 2 adult victims. Lil baby was only 2 weeks old and still unnamed.
hit.gif
sad sad sad........................ So now only 4 males left. I need to locate a few females, but am thinking to wait until spring. The new comers may home set , or split when they get a chance. I will try to have them pair up with the existing males and possibly have them make the loft their home. I don't want to mention on how many split on me. I have had my own pigeons born in my loft split on me. Some did return and are steady residents.. Others sought greener pastures I suppose. They are homing pigeons, so they will always yearn to return home. If I get young ones, then there is a better chance of home setting them.

Anything else you need to know, just ask.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom