Is my Silkie Chick's behavior normal or is something wrong?

glad i could help! and yes, i think that they well get along perfect. my baby silkies "play fight" and they all love each other. and i think that your current silkie will absolutely love having other chicks around, and i think they might help her constant chirping.

Your little shadow chick has imprinted on you and it now considers you its mama. Therefore it is only happy and content when you are hovering it like you are its mama. This is common among all bird species. Google "chick imprinting" to learn more. No number of additional chicks will help. Only a pen full of identical yous will help this chick. As the chick matures however it will grow out of this behavior just like human children forget about their parents and go their own way.

I have let my 5 day old chicks with my one month old chicks. They are silkies and they are all fine with each other. Its funny because when a new baby comes along the older chicks are so freaked out. I have new hatches all the time now, and after a few days old, put the new hatches with the other chick of all sizes. Try it, if the baby gets picked on too bad, more than a pecking order thing, take her out. She wants to be with the others. But they will probably let her join them.

Your little shadow chick has imprinted on you and it now considers you its mama.

Chickengeorgeto, thanks for the info. I thought about the imprinting thing and googled it before I posted this question but I got my chick at 5 or 6 days old, I didn't hatch her or get her at 1 day old so I didn't think imprinting was possible? Have you heard of chicks imprinting AFTER hatching somewhere else? I do know that the woman we got her from breeds tons of chicks and she was upfront with the fact that she doesn't really handle them each before selling them, so it's possible im the first person to handle her and give her attention that has any effect on it.

And spongegirl, thank you too! I'm gonna start giving my little one supervised play time with the big chicks tonight and observing how they react.

I can't figure out what my silkies are doing. I bought 3 white chicks and the woman said they were hens. They are now 5 and a half weeks old. I have 2 that whenever they are outside will like fight. Jump up, face each other, make all kinds of noise and continue to jump at one another. Looks like the one has missing feathers to me. Could I have 2 roosters? The one with what I think is missing feathers I constantly find on top of their water and food bottles.

Back
Top Bottom