Is panting normal?

Texashatching14

Chirping
May 27, 2015
I have 5 silkies and 1 cochin and they are constantly panting. I live in Texas and it is really hot here. I've given them shade with tarps and there's also trees they go under but even in the shade they're panting. I refill their water to make it cold every day and feed them frozen vegetables every day but I don't know how else to cool them down? They just sit there with their mouths open all day every day
Today is the worst its been in awhile at 116 degrees F and its supposed to get worse through the rest of the week

Last edited:
Most breeds of chickens start panting at about 85F, start suffering at 95F and can die over 105F - depending on breed, shade, water and other conditions.

Try rubber feed pans to use as foot baths. Fill with water and drop a frozen water bottle in the pan. Lots of blood vessels in the legs and feet will allow heat to escape.

Yep, panting and holding their wings away from the body is what they do to cool themselves. It's 105 degrees here too and my chickens are hot as well. I put ice in their water, I water down a place in the shade for them every afternoon and they flock to that wet spot. I have 5 large watering pans in different spots that I fill twice a day with cold water for them. And they have lots of shade from the oaks. I'm sure, like me, you are doing all you can to keep them cool. All you can do it your best. If you keep them confined misters work well. Good luck, you are doing well! :hugs

Most breeds of chickens start panting at about 85F, start suffering at 95F and can die over 105F - depending on breed, shade, water and other conditions.

Try rubber feed pans to use as foot baths. Fill with water and drop a frozen water bottle in the pan. Lots of blood vessels in the legs and feet will allow heat to escape.

Along with the above good advice, a misting system or a stand alone mister can be a big help in places with low humidity. Texas is likely one of those places

This one is 14 dollars at lowes

718455100571.jpg

Last edited:
X2. They just don't work very well here in our 85% humidity.
Heat hardy birds are critical in these conditions. However then they are subject to our winters that can be as low as -19F - with high humidity as well.

Last edited:
I have a wonderful mister system in the main run, but the chickens are free ranging (I sell eggs under the "free ranging" promise) and they are all over the place now. Our humidity is currently around 25%. We have very hot summers 90 to 110 degrees with mild winters (I refuse to live where it snows!) lowest temperature is freezing (32) and not often. I personally think 80 to 85 degrees is the perfect temperature and my chickens agree! Thank God for A/C in my house! :confused:

Almost lost a bird to heat stroke one summer, now I give a dose of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help.

BIG(9x14x2) chunks of ice can last all day.
Many will wade in the cool water or stand right on the ice.
upload_2018-7-17_7-10-8.png

Getting deep in the dirt seems to be my chickens preferred method of cooling. I think they can dissipate the most heat that way, so having an area in deep shade with some soft dirt they can till up and squat in helps a lot. I put ice baths in the run but they don't use them much.

I'm gonna have to up my game today and put a big fan out there or something because this week is supposed to be ridiculous. I haven't seen temperatures forecast this high in north Texas in a while.

I put ice in the water and it's melted in 10 minutes. My easter eggers love to wade in the water! I also put vitamins in the water every other day. it was 105 degrees yesterday, will be again today and for the rest of the summer. Whew!

Back
Top Bottom