Is Poultry Protector effective on external parasites?

Zoom Zoom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Rolla, MO
I have a four year old Buff Orpington who I suspect has external parasites although I've checked her frequently and see nothing. She started acting and looking like she didn't feel well last week and while I had her inside checking for parasites, noticed she had started wheezing. She also had diarrhea so had a fecal done. She had no internal parasites or cocci. Five days of Baytril cleared the wheezing and diarrhea. This whole time she was/is constantly scratching, pecking at herself, shaking her head and spends her days in the dust bath (dirt, sand and wood ash). I still see no parasites but think I need to treat her for them, don't know what else to do. She seems to be very uncomfortable. I have also checked for ear mites and saw none. I have one other chicken left, she shows no sign of parasites either and no scratching or pecking at herself. I have a bottle of Poultry Protector and wonder if it is effective, it says it is but the ingredients do not include permethrin. I would like to treat her this evening but will wait until I can get to town tomorrow if I need another product, assuming I can even find it here. I hope someone can give me suggestions for what I can do for her. Thanks.

I've never used it but it is worth a try after reading the label.

Ingredients

IPS-CareFree Enzymes and Manna Pro represent that this product qualifies for exemption from registration under the 25(b) FIFRA. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Potassium Sorbate .1% by weight INERT INGREDIENTS: Water, Yeast, Citric Acid 99.9% TOTAL: 100%

Directions For Use

To get started: • Remove bedding material • Spray entire habitat (top, sides, and surrounding grounds) with a fine mist • Replace bedding with new material before introducing birds • Repeat this process periodically to maintain appropriate cleanliness

Birds: Poultry Protector can be sprayed directly onto your birds as often as desired. Keep spray away from the eyes to avoid irritation. To avoid potential chilling and associated stress, Poultry Protector is not recommended for birds under 10 days of age, extremely old or debilitated birds. For Best Results, ensure that Poultry Protector thoroughly coats the birds' skin by manually displacing the feathers or inverting birds completely during application. Spray chest, behind the head, under wings and around vent.

Premises: For best results, spray living area and surrounding grounds with a fine mist every other day during the first week and once weekly thereafter. This product can be used for all ages of poultry and fowl.

Storage: Store Poultry Protector in its original container in an area inaccessible to children and pets. Do not reuse empty container. Place in trash or offer for recycling, if available. Keep from freezing.

Caution: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. The contents of this bottle are highly concentrated. In case of eye contact, rinse with water. Should any irritation occur, seek medical attention. Do no ingest. Use only as directed. Buyer assumes all responsibility when not used as indicated.

Sounds similar to phosphate based solutions. They work by degrading the exoskeleton causing systemic breakdown. From what I've seen of them, they don't have a residual effect. Once dry they no longer have the potency to function. I'd be interested in seeing if this works the same.

I doused her with it last night. She is just sitting on the roost this morning, won't come down. I didn't see any signs of parasites again last night.
How long does it take to see improvement? I'm hoping to find parmethrin today in case the poultry protector doesn't stop the scratching?

I found permethrin concentrate today but now my brain is scrambled from trying to figure out how much to use. The directions say 8 oz in 33 gallon and 1/2oz per bird. By my calculations that is a little less than 1/2 cc of the mixed concentrate per bird - it is impossible to get that amount out of a spray bottle and not near enough to spray her entire body, or maybe my math skills are terribly lacking. I'm going to clean out the coop tomorrow and make enough spray for the entire coop but can anyone tell me how much of that mixture I should use on my poor girl? I'll use the permethrin tomorrow if she is still scratching. She has again spent the entire day in the dust bath and looks so miserable. We checked her over in the bright sunlight today, again we saw nothing. Is it possible that she has a skin condition although her skin looks clear and healthy. If that is a possibility, any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks so much.

I just treated them wirh.Poultey Protector again. Checked Annie over again, still don't see anything. She constantly pecked at her wings while I was working on her. This white spot on her comb is the only thing I see. Is it an indication of the problem?

Back
Top Bottom