Is RIR going to lay?

deweyprimjosiedelilah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
My 16 week old rhode island red (who has never layed before) has just sung the "egg song". I'm pretty new to the whole chicken thing, but I thought that chickens only sang that song AFTER they layed an egg, and I cant find an egg (or something that resembles an egg
smile.png
) anywhere in the coop. Is the egg song exclusive for after egg laying meaning I should look a little harder or could this "buk buk buk buk BAGAAACK" mean she is just going to lay soon?

Thanks! -Dewey's owner

We got our first RIR egg at 18 weeks. It was tiny, and cute, and they are just now getting regular in the laying (24 weeks). But, as far as singing the egg song, I hear it from roosters, too, so it isn't always about eggs. Sometimes they just seem to want to make noise and they've also done it when they see my cat roaming around. It shouldn't be long now, though.

My DD talks to the girls if they sing the song without an egg she tells them they have to save the song until they are ready to lay an egg. After they lay they can sing the song so everyone will know what a good job they did. She is 11 & she sounds so serious when she tells them they have to wait until it is really their turn to sing the song!

I have a rir that sings the song as she waits her turn for her favorite nesting box. Every chicken is different. Some never sing the song.

Egg song doesn't always mean she layed an egg. Sometimes it means "Get your fluffy but out of my nest!" Other times it can mean "What are you looking at lady? Can't you see I need privacy?

My chicken is 16 weeks old and not yet laying. In this case, would the egg song most likely mean she is going to lay soon or could it still just be anything!

My RIR just laid her first egg two days ago at 23 weeks old. She sung the egg song pretty early though. At least a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom