is sawdust good to use in a coop with dirt floor

Wolfy1972

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
I was wondering if sawdust would be a good substance to use in a coop with a dirt floor. my yard is nothing but sand and Michigan field grass. i can get sawdust by the truck loads from the Amish saw mills for free. i was thinking the deep liter method would be the best for me to do.

I use something similar to sawdust. As long as it is dry I think it would be excellent it is a bit dusty.

If it is not doing exactly what you expected it would still serve as a good base and add a second component FREE is good!

Bedding
I have used all types of litter for coops.

I have not tried sand (sand gets good reviews on this site).

Of all the things I tried to date wood pellets have been the best. (I tried wood pellets as a last resort when pine shavings were not available.) They are super absorbent and swell up and eventually turn to saw dust. The droppings just seem to vanish and turn to dust when it comes in contact with wood pellets .

Replace my litter and clean my coop every October after I harvest my garden.

Works for me in my deep litter method.

I do add to pellets from time to time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on that. i plan on building my coops and runs in the spring after the snow has melted (be a good way to see possible problem areas.) im hoping to be adding my flock around april or may. my uncle is giving me 25 day old Road Island Reds from his spring hatch to get me started. Im thinking the sawdust would be great for composting and making fertilizer with for our guarden

My coop has a dirt floor, I added sand this fall and then lots of leaves and pine shavings. This has worked well for me.

Thank you. im thinking that i want to do a dirt floor that i can take a small tiller into to mix in when cleaning is needed. im still trying to design the coop though.

Sand works well? I would have never thought of that. Like beach sand? Cause I live in florida if beach sand works good I can get that all day lol

Back
Top Bottom