Is she pecking her egg, or is it just cracking? Cause of pecking order?

JAZsMom

Songster
8 Years
May 29, 2014
Damascus, MD
So, my hens refuse to lay eggs on the norm wood chips-kick it out of the nest, so its a plain wood floor (bought new stuff to try tomorrow)...theyve been laying since the end of May/early June. I can't tell if one of my girls is pecking and breaking her eggs or if theyre breaking due to the fact theyre landing on wood, rather then bedding? Chickie has been weird lately, took about 3 hours to lay, then didnt lay for 3 days, followed by 2 days of normal eggs, skip a day, and today a double yolker (she usually makes a double yolker every 9 days or so). Up until a week and 1/2? ago shes been laying every day. Now, since these issues in laying have started there have been holes in the eggs. They're always at the very pointed tip. Do you think she's pecking them or are they cracking due to the lack of bedding?

As a side psych note
bow.gif
there are 6 10/11 week old pullets that share their small yard, food dishes, etc with. Chickie never had an issue, but as she's not the alpha hen, shes been getting all uptight with the little girls...theyre growing quickly! Would that cause all these egg issues?

Back
Top Bottom