Is something wrong with my eggs?

tuthillny

Semper Fidelis
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Ulster Co. NY
Hi, I have 15 coturnix quail that hatched on 5 August 2012. On 7 October 2012 my first female layed an egg and the rest followed within that week leaving me with 11 females and 4 males. On average I get 10-11 eggs however - in the last two weeks - I have notice two things that concern me.
First, I have found six tiny eggs/fart eggs all from the same female.
Second, I have found 8 (maybe more) shell-less eggs with 1 egg being partially shelled.
I am not sure what to do. They all appear to be healthy. They drink, eat, and poop very well.
So I guess the question is should I be concern and if so what about?
Thanks

To your second question, it seems like they need more calcium. To correctly form a shell, the chicken need the correct substance of calcium. You can grind up oyster shell. I've even heard some people use chickens egg shell! I don't necessarily use chicken egg shell, but if you can't find oyster shell, it may be your last resort. Hope this helps! :)

Are the "fart" eggs mottled? Do they look like normal Coturnix quail eggs, just smaller, or are they off colored? Sometimes - but not always - off colored eggs can be an indicator that something is off in her reproductive system.

To your second question, it seems like they need more calcium. To correctly form a shell, the chicken need the correct substance of calcium. You can grind up oyster shell. I've even heard some people use chickens egg shell! I don't necessarily use chicken egg shell, but if you can't find oyster shell, it may be your last resort. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the reply. I do supply them with calcium plus they get chopped up hardboiled chicken eggs - shell and all. So, I do not think that a lack of calcium is the problem.

Are the "fart" eggs mottled? Do they look like normal Coturnix quail eggs, just smaller, or are they off colored? Sometimes - but not always - off colored eggs can be an indicator that something is off in her reproductive system.

Thank you for replying. No the eggs are not mottled or off colored they look like normal cotunix eggs only really small. Also, as I said above they all look and act like normal healthy quail. I wish I knew what was going on. Anyway, thanks.

Sometimes birds inherit this issue of laying shell less eggs and sometimes it is an imbalance of or the lack of being able to absorb not only calcium, but magnesium and phosphorus. I am dealing with a chicken hen with the same issues and have added a liquid calcium mix with several mineral and amino acids added. This will not cure the bird, but may correct the problem. If the magnesium and phosphorus is not in proper balance with calcium, they can not absorb the calcium.

Last edited:
Are they getting enough light? I notice that my birds start laying shelless eggs as they get close to the end of their laying life (1 1/2 years). From the age of your birds, it doesn't seem like this is the issue.

Also, this Winter, I haven't been supplementing light and for the most part they haven't need it, but as the days got darker, I noticed a lot of strange eggs like you have described. More shelless ones and some smaller than normal. They do seem to be hen related in my case as well. Everything settled down since then.

Back
Top Bottom