Is there a gracious way to deal with surprise houseguests?

When we bought this house in 96 it had what they called an out building. Seems to be 1940's once garage, with two wings that were added on to either side. Over the years I have upgraded everything, put in a kitchen, insulation, siding etc.......Now it is my little escape house. I go there when I want to be anywhere but home, but still home. It is furnished right down to the computer. I have rented it a few times over the years (paid for upgrades) but it has been my guest house for a few years. I tell family if they want to visit they have a house to themselves. They can supply their own everything, I only have the heat/ac and water but that is there anyway. No sleeping in with the chickens and ducks waking you at the crack of dawn either. I have not had any visitors in years. Something about being in a house alone in the country puts them off??? Even if it is just next door or maybe it is the name of the house (shotgun shack) Actually the little house is wonderful and I spend a lot of time over there. I decorate it for Christmas, have a big fireplace and all my vintage and antiques to look at.
Maybe you should give them a hint by having one room set up with a small frig. and hot plate? But somehow I think in your case they may still come. So maybe it is time to just put your foot down and say no. Hey next year you should start visiting them unannounced??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom