Is there a spray deterrent for pecked chickens?

farmgirl7

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hanging into Texas
One of my chickens is losing feathers from being pecked on. She really needs a break to grow those feathers back before winter. Is there anything I can use (spray, etc) on her to discourage the other hens from pecking her? She appears to be at the bottom of the pecking order, but she is my favorite. She's a silver lacewing....my ONLY silver lacewing! I really need some help with this!
IMG_2888.JPG

There is a lotion called Pick No More which may help. Some will use Blu Kote to cover the area (this stains, so be careful and wear gloves). A hen saddle (http://www.hensaver.com/ ) may help to hide the area.
The best long term solution would be to address whatever is causing the issue. Often times this is caused by or aggravated by over crowding and boredom. How much space do you have for how many chickens? You can look up boredom busters for chickens for ways to give them something else to do. Another contributor could be lack of protein in the diet. Reduce treats and if you are feeding a layer feed then switching to a higher protein flock raiser may help. You will need to provide oyster shell on the side in a separate feeder all the time for the calcium the laying birds need as the non layer feeds won't have enough. If you have one particular chicken that is the bully, then separating that bird for a time may help also.

There is a lotion called Pick No More which may help.
This stuff works.! Put it on liberally. Chickens Hate this stuff on their beak, they will peck it once and then start wiping their beaks on the nearest object to get it off. It doesn't smell bad, has a fruity smell, but the chickens sure don't like whatever's in it.

One of my chickens is losing feathers from being pecked on. She really needs a break to grow those feathers back before winter. Is there anything I can use (spray, etc) on her to discourage the other hens from pecking her? She appears to be at the bottom of the pecking order, but she is my favorite. She's a silver lacewing....my ONLY silver lacewing! I really need some help with this!
View attachment 1530332
How much space do you have?
How many birds?
How old is she?
What do you feed?
Do you have a rooster?

I agree with @coach723 try some Pick No More or Blu Kote. A chicken saddle may also help, but the picking issue needs to be resolved. Limited space, flock conflicts, food/water, poor diet and boredom can all contribute to feather picking.

9C92D904-C522-4B3D-85B7-CFA71C7069C1.jpeg
One of my hens is just a pecker, she’s a Golden Sebright. They have a HUGE coop, are well fed and get to free range. She’s still a pecker. At one time her pecking actually seemed contagious and several of my other hens began pecking too! I solved the issue using pinless peepers which are a painless little blinder thingy you can pop right on their beak to prevent them from seeing directly in front of them. They worked beautifully!!! My hens wore them for a month or so, I just took them off last week and they no longer peck each other....except for my Sebright, she’s still a pecker

View attachment 1530406 One of my hens is just a pecker, she’s a Golden Sebright. They have a HUGE coop, are well fed and get to free range. She’s still a pecker. At one time her pecking actually seemed contagious and several of my other hens began pecking too! I solved the issue using pinless peepers which are a painless little blinder thingy you can pop right on their beak to prevent them from seeing directly in front of them. They worked beautifully!!! My hens wore them for a month or so, I just took them off last week and they no longer peck each other....except for my Sebright, she’s still a pecker
:lau Can't. Help. It! Those googly eyes, did you put those on the pinless peepers or do they come that way?

All seriousness now....good idea! A lot of people use pinless peeper to help with problem pickers, I'm glad you brought it up:)

:lau Can't. Help. It! Those googly eyes, did you put those on the pinless peepers or do they come that way?

All seriousness now....good idea! A lot of people use pinless peeper to help with problem pickers, I'm glad you brought it up:)
I put them on there my poor Lil Hey Hey!! She’s so mean though. I was skeptical but they worked beautifully. I even mailed some to a lady on this site because I had to buy 100...which I will never use!

Back
Top Bottom