Is there a way to make this work??

coop-er

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
I have an opportunity to get a great deal on this shed for a coop conversion. But I need to know if this is would work. My primary concern is that there are no windows nor is there much space for window placement. I am worried that this would be a hotbox in the summer (we are in Ohio). There is electric and it is a 10x12. If I place a window in the back and position it west/east would there be enough ventilation from back to front with the doors open? I have a super talented husband who can do any modifications necessary to make it safe and workable. Do any of you creative types have some input for me? We had planned on building a new coop before this became available and we can still do that if this won't work. As always, thanks for the help!

I have an opportunity to get a great deal on this shed for a coop conversion. But I need to know if this is would work. My primary concern is that there are no windows nor is there much space for window placement. I am worried that this would be a hotbox in the summer (we are in Ohio). There is electric and it is a 10x12. If I place a window in the back and position it west/east would there be enough ventilation from back to front with the doors open? I have a super talented husband who can do any modifications necessary to make it safe and workable. Do any of you creative types have some input for me? We had planned on building a new coop before this became available and we can still do that if this won't work. As always, thanks for the help!
That shed will work just fine, Just put some windows and vents in. You will probably leave the front doors open in the warm weather anyway. We are using a resin shed in in Missouri with no problems. If you look at my profile pictures you can see what we did with ours.

Last edited:
That shed will work just fine, Just put some windows and vents in. You will probably leave the front doors open in the warm weather anyway. We are using a resin shed in in Missouri with no problems. If you look at my profile pictures you can see what we did with ours.

Where do you suggest the windows and vents be placed, and how do I see your profile pics? Thanks!

The pictures should be down in the left bottom corner of my profile page. I would put the vents in the top of each end just under the ridge board. then put one window in each side. I tried to post the pictures and for some reason it would not let me ???

I would cut vents into be peaks on the front and back wall, I would tear off the ridge cap shingles on top and cut a 2 or 3 inch opening in the roof boards at the peak and replace cap with a ridge vent. I would hang nest boxes on the outside to save room inside then put the roosts on the other side and or in the back, I would cut hardware cloth windows into both the front doors on the top section of the doors, other windows will depend on where the roosts get positioned, if you put a window behind the roost area be sure to use one that can be closed so there won't be draft on the birds in cold weather. I would also cut a chicken door through on of the walls for them to go in and out. One option to help against summer heat would be to tear off all the black shingles and replace with a very light color shingle or a white steel roof but just leaving it ad is and putting it in the shade would work too especially if you provide a lot of ventilation

Back
Top Bottom