Is there anything else I can do for my chick?

down-home Dave

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Twentynine Palms, CA
I have been periodically checking on my chicks throughout the day. Hanging out for a few minutes then going on about my business. Every time I came by I noticed that a few of them were asleep. Later in the evening I stopped by again. There was a bird that was literally getting run over by other birds and not even barely moving. I decided to move the bird thinking that she must be sick, and if that was the case I'd prefer she not get the others sick if possible. I noticed what could be pasty butt on her, so I gently cleaned that off. I also noticed one of her legs went straight back. I cut a band-aid and used that to treat for splayed leg. She is now standing on her own, but quickly lays down and does not seem to want to eat or drink. Is this just a combo of a few things going wrong? She seems slightly smaller than the rest of the chicks, and wonder if she has just not been able to get to food all day. All 16 chicks were moving fine and running around yesterday. These are hatchery birds as well, so they did come through the mail with chick saver gel. Is there something I can do to encourage her to eat?

This is how she stays:

After I prop her up:

Fix I did to her legs:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Splay leg chicks usually get the balance thing down with practice. I think your chick may need to have it's beak dipped into electrolyte water as often as you can manage today. Give it time to swallow. The gel is okay, but electrolytes in the water would be easier to get her to drink. You can buy SaveAChick electrolyte packets or make you own without vitamins. Some chicks are weak from shipping, and sometimes you can save them if you push the fluids for a day or so. I would also put down some paper towel and sprinkle a little chick feed on it to get it to peck and start eating. Putting 1 chick in with it might help too. Good luck.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most grocery stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Last edited:
Thanks. Last night after further research I did end up putting down paper towel and feed on top of it. I didn't use save a chick or anything due to how late I caught it, and how far away the feed store is from me. I would put her beak in a homemade solution and it would take a little bit of time before actually tilting her head up and swallowing. I did not want to just constantly do that so I came back every about 45 min to an hour, and let her drink a couple of times. About 12:15 a.m. I came in to find her dead. I feel like I did what I could, but I didn't want to overstress her during the process either. I didn't think of putting another bird with her. I know they are flock animals, but I was afraid she might actually be sick, too. I guess at that stage she most likely would have passed disease to them in she was going to. I just think it was a combo of everything. Just wish I had caught it early. But, in the end I still have 15 chicks that are happy and healthy.

Sorry that she died, but I don't think you could have done anything different. With an order of chicks it is not unusual to lose one.

Back
Top Bottom