Is there such a thing as being raised in the coop too long?

malinois

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Butler Pennsylvania
I acquired a groups of three week old keets in july this year. I kept them inside their coop until october, when i added on an outside fenced/enclosed run for them. Now they go in and out freely, and have done well.
Three days ago, one bird managed to escape, and took up with 3 neighborhood guineas that are cohabiting in my barn and at their home too.
The one escaped bird is pretty dumb..for lack of a better word. I kept her and the 3 adults locked in my barn for a few days....today was their first day out as a new flock. Tonight, At night, the 3 came into the barn , and the young one roosted on the ground outside her old pen.
Will she be able to adjust her patterns, and the big question is, if i keep the other young birds in the coop until spiring, will they be in captivity TOO long to learn how to survive? I live in sw PA and its winter time here..the trees are bare and the raccoons are hungry...
What to do? Let them out, and put them in my barn for a few months? At least in the barn they can learn how to fly and roost in the rafters...
I don't know what steps to take, and i hope i didn't ruin them by keeping them in
So, how much captivity is too much captivity?

They are ALL pretty dumb when they get out the first time. Cant figure out how to get back over the fence they just flew over and stuff like that.

I used a call to teach my whole flock Chickens and guineas at feed time. After that all I had to do is make the call and they would come flying up over the house to get their treats...

I think the barn idea is an excellent one. There they can move around more and you can teach them that when you make a certain noise food is emminent. Some people use a bell some use a whistle... but I just holler Treat treat treat....

deb

If your neighbors have guineas that share your barn they might as well free range together. Guineas like large flocks. I would only bother to keep them in off the road or out of any other neighbours yard. At that age I would let them out when you can keep an eye on them at least, I would integrate them with the flock asap because that will help them adjust. But little ones are very easily taken by predators. See how they get on with the older guineas. If the older ones protect them then I would keep them together. If the older ones peck them then no!

Back
Top Bottom