Is there such thing as a quiet breed of rooster?

ChxLadyMary

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Hello, I am currently looking for a rooster for my backyard flock. I have heard that certain breeds of roosters are quieter then others. Is this true?

If I have a rooster i put him in a night box, which may just be a nest box with a door for example. If it is dark he will not crow as much until he is let out, but you can chose when to let him out. I am not big on letting a rooster crow at 4 am just because the sun is up.

I agree with the others. All individuals will sound a little different. Some crow more or less, louder or quieter; some sound majestic, others pitiful, and some are downright annoying, but there is no such thing as a quiet crow. Over the years, I've had many different breeds of roosters, and they all have a slightly different crow. One of my Ameraucanas has a weird rattling sound at the end of his crow. My other Ameraucana has a lower, drawn-out sound, but he rarely crows. My little Seramas had a high-pitched crow that sounded like they were being strangled at the end. My Wyandotte likes to crow often and has a loud, deep voice, and my mutt rooster never makes a sound.

Typically, a bigger rooster will have a louder crow. Smaller breeds will be more high-pitched, but that doesn't mean they crow quieter or less frequently. I would ask any neighbors how they would feel about you getting a rooster and check to make sure it's legal for your area.

I agree with the others. Typically each rooster has a unique crow, but some breeds share similarities (for example aseel roosters have a raspy, sort of prehistoric crow) bantams have slightly quieter crows, but the difference isn't noticeable most of the time, not to mention frequency is a whole other variable. So really, the question isn't can I handle quiet crowing, but rather can I handle crowing

I have a leghorn that sounds like a squeaky gate. No one really knows what a Rooster has something to crow about, but they do...they will crow a lot more if there are other roosters around.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom