Is this a black copper Maran or a French Wheaton maran? Thanks !

pollo randy

Chirping
Apr 2, 2014
South Central Kentucky
096FAD48-2278-4D95-9D08-A973C10844A2.jpeg

He is definitely a mix. He's too blonde to be a Black Copper Maran Rooster. I would say a French Wheaton Maran. That been said, the missing feathers on the feet eludes to another breed present in his bloodline. That being said, he is a very handsome man.

The colored triangle on his wing bow say Wheaten... That's the MAIN difference between black copper verses wheaten in the males is the wing bow.
http://www.themaransclub.co.uk/french-standard-marans/4542061234

You need to treat for scaly leg mite. Once that is taken care of his feathered legs will look and FEEL a LOT better!

The blonding does not indicate a different breed it indicates something with regards to say show quality. Which he also has too much undesirable color leakage on his chest/legs.. BUT color correctness is the LAST thing to be breed for.. size and type are more important. Overall, he looks pretty decent, once those legs are taken care of.

Hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

ETA: French just indicates which standard YOU are breeding to. French is best IMO for THIS breed.

ETAA: Also Marans is always said with the S whether singular or plural after the French town they hail from. :)

The colored triangle on his wing bow say Wheaten... That's the MAIN difference between black copper verses wheaten in the males is the wing bow.
http://www.themaransclub.co.uk/french-standard-marans/4542061234

You need to treat for scaly leg mite. Once that is taken care of his feathered legs will look and FEEL a LOT better!

The blonding does not indicate a different breed it indicates something with regards to say show quality. Which he also has too much undesirable color leakage on his chest/legs.. BUT color correctness is the LAST thing to be breed for.. size and type are more important. Overall, he looks pretty decent, once those legs are taken care of.

Hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

ETA: French just indicates which standard YOU are breeding to. French is best IMO for THIS breed.

ETAA: Also Marans is always said with the S whether singular or plural after the French town they hail from. :)
Thank you very much for your words of wisdom. It sounds like you know your Marans.🙂 I bought him over a year ago under the impression he was black copper Marans. I have been breeding him with my black copper Marans hens. Kind of a bummer to find out he’s not what I thought he was. I will start treating his ASAP. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom