Is This a Chicken???

ChickenMom0330

Chirping
May 9, 2021
The neighbor's cat brought this little one home... is it a chicken or some other domestic bird? It seems fairly tame?

Attachments

• received_496433904941520.jpeg
    received_496433904941520.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 20
That is a coturnix quail — coloring is pied or tuxedo, with perhaps a touch of cat spit? ;)

Seriously though, it will be hard to check for injuries; they are excellent at hiding it.

Do you know what to do with it? It needs a quiet place with a cover — they can fly a bit better than chickens. Water (with boosters if you have it). Chicken chow will suffice for right now if you don’t have gamebird feed. Though it may not eat right now.

That is a coturnix quail — coloring is pied or tuxedo, with perhaps a touch of cat spit? ;)

Seriously though, it will be hard to check for injuries; they are excellent at hiding it.

Do you know what to do with it? It needs a quiet place with a cover — they can fly a bit better than chickens. Water (with boosters if you have it). Chicken chow will suffice for right now if you don’t have gamebird feed. Though it may not eat right now.
Thank you! I had a bird friend help identify it as a quail as well!

We have a small chicken coop that will give her a quiet, enclosed, covered space to rest and recover. She seems calm and quiet right now.

I gave her water and some chicken feed for now - she pecked at the feed a little bit then went back to resting. If an owner doesn't come forward to claim her in a couple of days, she will either go live with our friend "The Bird Dude" who raises quail or we will get her some fame feed and spruce up an area for her amongst our funny farm.

We don't currently have quail - just a flock of chickens of all shapes and sizes (12 in total) - but I am not opposed to getting her a friend or two if we decide to keep her if she isn't claimed :)

They are also like a chicken and don't do as well alone as they do in a flock
For now, we are hoping one of the neighbors come forward to claim her and she can go back to her own home. If no one claims her, I have a friend who raises quail that could take her, or we will happily keep her and get her a friend or two to hang out with :) Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom