Is this a dumped domestic goose?

I have her in the same yard, just separated from the ducks by a plastic chicken mesh fence so the ducks at least can't eat her poop (my ducks are classy
wink.png
) So there is plenty of non-physical contact going on. I am also worried about her mental health like you mentioned, it was so sad to see her just hanging around her friend's body, poor girl. She's been a bit noisy, especially for the 10 minutes whenever I leave the duck yard. She is drinking and eating grass, though, so that is a good sign.

I will make a grocery store run for lettuce. And maybe I'll pick up some scratch or corn from the feed store too while I'm out.

I have no idea if some cruel person killed the other goose. It was laying right on the bank half in the water half out. A spot with easy access for humans. Maybe the people who dropped them off in the first place? Dunno.

I will do my best to secure her temporary bedroom and make it predator proof. I'm looking into some really sturdy large sized dog houses on craigslist. I am planning to not put feed or water in there with her at night. Is that OK with geese?

And one more question, she gets a vibrating neck a lot. I know that's sorta normal for my ducks (not very often though, just when they get a little too excited with me), but is this something I need to worry about with her?
My goose vibrate their necks to it maybe from just being stressed. if she is eating grass and that's really the main stay of geese then she is settling down. and I don't put feed and water inside with my water fowl at all. I don't think she could be in better hands. How does she act around you? Kale is another green my gees love but I usually don't feed them greens except in winter since grass they love so much. Remember ventilation is very important with poultry but I'm sure you already know this since you have ducks. Pics when you get a chance, oh and what do your ducks think about this new humongous duck that has invaded their back yard? lol

Ok, I'll just keep an eye on the vibrating since it sounds mostly normal.

She seems to really like me, she does take a bite at me whenever she can. But it doesn't seem to be aggressive, more of a curiosity thing. She will come right up to me and hang around me. She quiets down when I'm near her. I don't know goose behavior, but I think those are all positive things (haha, I suppose she could absolutely hate me and I wouldn't know the difference!).

The ducks' reaction is absolutely amazing. I have two crews, browns/blues (4 fem) and fawn'n'whites (2 fem, 2 mal). The darks are younger by 1 month and my older group hated them, attacked them and down right disrespected them at first. They all run together now, luckily. Anyways, I was expecting them to behave aggressively toward the goose... but they must respect her size because it's almost like they've totally accepted her (besides the fence being a barrier between them).

You've all been so helpful, thank you!!! Now I wanted to hound you for some more advice.

Thinking about getting a dog house is really causing me a neck ache and my bf doesn't want to add one to our accumulation of stuff.

He says, "sounds like a permanent solution to a temporary problem"
Me, "that's true."

How important is it to keep them separated and for how long? Like I said, I don't know normal goose behavior but she seems pretty healthy... besides having drank the water that her dead friend's body was lying in. So I also have retractable chicken mesh fence in their duck house (which is 8x8')... it was for protecting the little ducks when the big ones were attacking... would that be enough separation for health concerns? I'm really struggling to make the right decision here. Ugh. This is what the separator looks like. I now use deep litter wood shavings instead of bare dirt.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll just keep an eye on the vibrating since it sounds mostly normal.

She seems to really like me, she does take a bite at me whenever she can. But it doesn't seem to be aggressive, more of a curiosity thing. She will come right up to me and hang around me. She quiets down when I'm near her. I don't know goose behavior, but I think those are all positive things (haha, I suppose she could absolutely hate me and I wouldn't know the difference!).

The ducks' reaction is absolutely amazing. I have two crews, browns/blues (4 fem) and fawn'n'whites (2 fem, 2 mal). The darks are younger by 1 month and my older group hated them, attacked them and down right disrespected them at first. They all run together now, luckily. Anyways, I was expecting them to behave aggressively toward the goose... but they must respect her size because it's almost like they've totally accepted her (besides the fence being a barrier between them).

You've all been so helpful, thank you!!! Now I wanted to hound you for some more advice.

Thinking about getting a dog house is really causing me a neck ache and my bf doesn't want to add one to our accumulation of stuff.

He says, "sounds like a permanent solution to a temporary problem"
Me, "that's true."

How important is it to keep them separated and for how long? Like I said, I don't know normal goose behavior but she seems pretty healthy... besides having drank the water that her dead friend's body was lying in. So I also have retractable chicken mesh fence in their duck house (which is 8x8')... it was for protecting the little ducks when the big ones were attacking... would that be enough separation for health concerns? I'm really struggling to make the right decision here. Ugh. This is what the separator looks like. I now use deep litter wood shavings instead of bare dirt.

I wouldn't hand feed her Tracy because they can get carried away and believe it those serrated bills can hurt. That maybe one reason why she is biting, it happens when people hand feed. if she young it just maybe her way of testing out new things my gosling at 3 months old love to nibble on my pants, shoes etc. I just don't let them nibble on me. lol. as for putting them all together that is something you'll have to decide you are there and see her up close clear eyes acting normal poop looking as normal as goose poop can look? lol you might try putting them all in the same house with fencing up and she how she reacts. I don't think she'd go over the top. Might be just the thing to make her feel secure. What does bf think of her?

I got the doghouse. Downside is she won't have warm bodies. Upside is I won't worry as much about disease, which I would worry like crazy.

Heehee bf is pretty neutral but he is helping me a lot with the setup. Good thing is he is supportive now.

And that is one vote for gander. I wish I could tell. She stands very tall with a skinny neck like a gander but her voice seems more pleasant than a gander. Any ideas on age?

Here's an update:

-Serv must be right. This goose sounds like a pterodactyl. I guess I was confused by its adorable mumbling and humming sounds :)

-He is really chowing down the crumble now like a good boy. You can tell he's a bit too lean so I'm glad to see him packing it in

-After going through the hassle of getting a dog house and unloading it, I wasn't comfortable leaving him in there overnight because there wasn't enough ventilation and it was pretty icky on the inside. So he slept opposite the ducks in the duck house... separated by the chicken fence

-He must have stayed mostly in one spot through the night because there was (what I thought) a huge cow pie on his side of the house. Nasty, but I still think it's healthy poo.

-We don't know if we're going to keep him or find another loving home for him yet. He is a big mouth to feed, and poops a lot :) But he sure is sweet.

Pics coming soon.

Last edited:
Here's an update:

-Serv must be right. This goose sounds like a pterodactyl. I guess I was confused by its adorable mumbling and humming sounds :)

-He is really chowing down the crumble now like a good boy. You can tell he's a bit too lean so I'm glad to see him packing it in

-After going through the hassle of getting a dog house and unloading it, I wasn't comfortable leaving him in there overnight because there wasn't enough ventilation and it was pretty icky on the inside. So he slept opposite the ducks in the duck house... separated by the chicken fence

-He must have stayed mostly in one spot through the night because there was (what I thought) a huge cow pie on his side of the house. Nasty, but I still think it's healthy poo.

-We don't know if we're going to keep him or find another loving home for him yet. He is a big mouth to feed, and poops a lot :) But he sure is sweet.

Pics coming soon.
I'm so glad you got him. I know you'll d the best thing for him and I look forward to pics. yes they do poop alot I have 4 of them poopers lol

Back
Top Bottom