Is this a dumped domestic goose?

As far as Craigslist goes, I'm not exactly sure how you'd be able to filter out the bad seeds. I just know that where I live, people who post a lot say that you should never offer an animal for free on Craigslist. You put in your ad that the goose is to be a pet only and then add $$$ (however much you want to charge) and call it a rehoming fee. That way only people serious about owning him will contact you...hopefully. You could also make it a condition of the sale for you to actually see where he'll be living. Also, again where I live, there are people who will post information about buyers that they've had dealings with that are either hoarders or getting the animals for dubious reasons, or both. Anyway, these are just a few of the ideas that seem to work in my area. And although it's sad that you can't keep him, it's better for him in the long run that you were honest with yourself (and him) !!! Take Care and Good Luck To You Both !!!

Thank you so much for finding this resource, Miss Lydia. I never even thought that there are farm animal rescues/sanctuaries. I knew of bird sanctuaries, because man seems to have a very special bond with bird. This is great though.

I'm posting like mad here on BYC to spread the word about this goose (ha, you've probably seen me!). And I've emailed Denkai to give them a heads up and learn more about them.

As far as Craigslist goes, I'm not exactly sure how you'd be able to filter out the bad seeds. I just know that where I live, people who post a lot say that you should never offer an animal for free on Craigslist. You put in your ad that the goose is to be a pet only and then add $$$ (however much you want to charge) and call it a rehoming fee. That way only people serious about owning him will contact you...hopefully. You could also make it a condition of the sale for you to actually see where he'll be living. Also, again where I live, there are people who will post information about buyers that they've had dealings with that are either hoarders or getting the animals for dubious reasons, or both. Anyway, these are just a few of the ideas that seem to work in my area. And although it's sad that you can't keep him, it's better for him in the long run that you were honest with yourself (and him) !!! Take Care and Good Luck To You Both !!!

Thanks for the helpful tips. It really sounds like Craigslist is not the best way to go, so as suggested I will use it as a last resort if at all. So the concern is that a hoarder or someone that just wants to kill him could get ahold of him?

Thank you so much for finding this resource, Miss Lydia. I never even thought that there are farm animal rescues/sanctuaries. I knew of bird sanctuaries, because man seems to have a very special bond with bird. This is great though.

I'm posting like mad here on BYC to spread the word about this goose (ha, you've probably seen me!). And I've emailed Denkai to give them a heads up and learn more about them.

Thanks for the helpful tips. It really sounds like Craigslist is not the best way to go, so as suggested I will use it as a last resort if at all. So the concern is that a hoarder or someone that just wants to kill him could get ahold of him?
Very true Tracey, or after rescuing him someone would take him to eat. I know geese are food for some but after all he's been through he deserves better than to be on someones table.

Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. Not many people have shown much interest in the goose, yet.

He's running with my flock of ducks still, and things seem to be pretty good :) I'm letting them out together during the day, and keeping the goose fenced off in a corner of the duck house at night. He is relatively gentle with the ducks, but I'd hate for him to feel crossed in the pitch black of night... I think he could seriously injure a duck whether intentional or not.

He is testing his boundaries with me, though. Yesterday, he nipped me pretty good on the thigh; neck snaked, wings out, some hissing. Granted, I was messing with a pile of grass clippings that I just set down for him. Either way, I thought this is no good, so I pinned him for a while and said "no, no, no, never again." Luckily he submitted pretty quick, and when I let go he lay there in that exact position, very still, with his neck parallel to the ground. I actually had to give him a push, and off he ran in the opposite direction. It seemed to work. Hopefully I don't have to assert my dominance every day like that, it's really unnatural for me and I felt bad afterwards. I know this is good for him (I think :/ ), but it still is not fun for me.

Other than that minor incident, he's still a very good goose and is acting like a guardian to my ducks. I enjoy him very much. It's really cute when he corrals them if there's something threatening near by. Everything is good for the most part, but I can tell that in a sea of ducks this goose is still a little bit lonely.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. Not many people have shown much interest in the goose, yet.

He's running with my flock of ducks still, and things seem to be pretty good :) I'm letting them out together during the day, and keeping the goose fenced off in a corner of the duck house at night. He is relatively gentle with the ducks, but I'd hate for him to feel crossed in the pitch black of night... I think he could seriously injure a duck whether intentional or not.

He is testing his boundaries with me, though. Yesterday, he nipped me pretty good on the thigh; neck snaked, wings out, some hissing. Granted, I was messing with a pile of grass clippings that I just set down for him. Either way, I thought this is no good, so I pinned him for a while and said "no, no, no, never again." Luckily he submitted pretty quick, and when I let go he lay there in that exact position, very still, with his neck parallel to the ground. I actually had to give him a push, and off he ran in the opposite direction. It seemed to work. Hopefully I don't have to assert my dominance every day like that, it's really unnatural for me and I felt bad afterwards. I know this is good for him (I think :/ ), but it still is not fun for me.

Other than that minor incident, he's still a very good goose and is acting like a guardian to my ducks. I enjoy him very much. It's really cute when he corrals them if there's something threatening near by. Everything is good for the most part, but I can tell that in a sea of ducks this goose is still a little bit lonely.
Tracy honestly with having my gander for over 7 yrs now I do feel bad I have to dicipline him but YOU have to let them know they cannot bite or nip the one who cares for them or any other person in the family. And he maybe lonely but he has accepted the ducks as his flock for now so that is good. My gander was hatched and lived with Muscovy's for over 5 yrs before I got him a goose mate. I don't think he minded much. What about the sanctuary I gave you the link for did they get back with you? I keep following the Colorado thread to see if anyone responds about him. He's so beautiful I hope someone will want him.

Yes, you are right, Miss Lydia. I don't want to fear being attacked in my own yard so that is what I must do for now, show him that I'm alpha.

You know I haven't heard back from the sanctuary... I'm sure they are very busy. Next I will call them if I need to. I'm still waiting patiently to hear from a goose person or another loving private owner... so I'm glad to keep him a while longer.

He is in safe hands right now at least, and he is treating the ducks good.

Yes, you are right, Miss Lydia. I don't want to fear being attacked in my own yard so that is what I must do for now, show him that I'm alpha.

You know I haven't heard back from the sanctuary... I'm sure they are very busy. Next I will call them if I need to. I'm still waiting patiently to hear from a goose person or another loving private owner... so I'm glad to keep him a while longer.

He is in safe hands right now at least, and he is treating the ducks good.
Yes he is in safe hands, you are a hero for rescuing him, I shudder thinking about his fate if he had stayed much longer there.

Back
Top Bottom