Is this a normal chick poop?

clickchicks

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
Texas
Posing this as a new thread just in case it catches more eyes. The thread of ongoing issues is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baby-chick-suddenly-crashing-need-help.1454841/

Is this a normal poop for a 1 week old chick? Specifically the redish orange blob. Looks sort of like what a hen produces sometimes, but not sure if young chicks do the same of if this is a bad sign.

1617369966532.png

Last edited:
Looks like there might be a bit if blood? Most likely cocci. Are you feeding medicated chicken starter? I'd separate it if the other chicks are knocking it around. Keep it warm, put it on corid (no vitamins). You can also mix the crumbles with corid for a chick.

Looks like there might be a bit if blood? Most likely cocci. Are you feeding medicated chicken starter? I'd separate it if the other chicks are knocking it around. Keep it warm, put it on corid (no vitamins). You can also mix the crumbles with corid for a chick.
Agreed that 3rd one especially looks like blood.

But I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a chick who's very weak and been getting dosed with nutri-drench every few hours to keep it up. If I start the corid I have to stop the vitamins... darned if I do darned if I don't :(

I guess I should also mention all of the chicks were previously treated with a 3 day course of corid about 5 days ago after I lost another chick and have been on vitamin/electrolyte supplements for several days now to try and save the weak chick.

Agreed that 3rd one especially looks like blood.

But I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a chick who's very weak and been getting dosed with nutri-drench every few hours to keep it up. If I start the corid I have to stop the vitamins... darned if I do darned if I don't :(
Vitamins will make the Coccidiosis worse, they feed on Thiamine. Give the chick some sugar water instead?

Vitamins will make the Coccidiosis worse, they feed on Thiamine. Give the chick some sugar water instead?
Yes. Its been an ongoing issue for the last 3 days. The chick goes up and down, and the little drops of nutri drench seem to be perking it up, at least temporarily. I guess my fear is that if I'm wrong about the coccidiosis and start the corid/stop the supplements, I might lose the chick.

But I also guess if it is coccidiosis then I risk losing all the other chicks. Man this sucks. I will start on the corid and stop the nutri drench and hope things improve.

edit: can I mix the corid with the sugar water or is that a bad idea?

Yes. Its been an ongoing issue for the last 3 days. The chick goes up and down, and the little drops of nutri drench seem to be perking it up, at least temporarily. I guess my fear is that if I'm wrong about the coccidiosis and start the corid/stop the supplements, I might lose the chick.

But I also guess if it is coccidiosis then I risk losing all the other chicks. Man this sucks. I will start on the corid and stop the nutri drench and hope things improve.

edit: can I mix the corid with the sugar water or is that a bad idea?
If it's a severe case of Coccidiosis, you can give them a drench, & medicated water for 7 days.

Sugar water should only be occasional, not for a long period of time.

Back
Top Bottom