is this a rhode island red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris09 has forgotten more about Reds than I know. LOL

90% of the birds aren't any breed. To be the breed, it must actually be bred to well represent the breed. Could it intended to be This or That? If so, it fell far short of any breed. But this is true of most birds shown on this site.

The American Poultry Association has a detailed description for all the accepted breeds. Again 90% of the birds shown don't measure up, even minimally, to those breed descriptions. Sure, it is human nature for people want to know what "breed" their bird is so if it kinda, sort of, squint your eyes reminds someone of a breed, they'll call them that breed, when in reality? It's a chicken. Might be a darn good chicken. If it is healthy and pleases you, it's all good.

Chris09 has forgotten more about Reds than I know. LOL

90% of the birds aren't any breed.  To be the breed, it must actually be bred to well represent the breed.  Could it intended to be This or That?  If so, it fell far short of any breed.  But this is true of most birds shown on this site.

The American Poultry Association has a detailed description for all the accepted breeds.  Again 90% of the birds shown don't measure up, even minimally, to those breed descriptions. Sure, it is human nature for people want to know what "breed" their bird is so if it kinda, sort of, squint your eyes reminds someone of a breed, they'll call them that breed, when in reality?  It's a chicken.  Might be a darn good chicken.  If it is healthy and pleases you, it's all good.
even poorly bred dogs are still considered that breed. Even well bred but poor type dogs are still that breed.

Why does everyone insist that chickens are any different? I see this all over, it's crazy. That's where the term "pet quality" came from.

P.s. didn't realize it was you I was quoting, Fred!

Last edited:
In short the difference is this. Dogs use a pedigree system. Chickens use a "type" system.
Poultry is judged against a standard, a detailed description of the breed.
Chickens are not blood lined or stud books kept. The difference between dogs and poultry is very vast.

Joseph Marquette, aka YellowHouseFarm wrote this: post #18 for those who wish a bit of homework.

• subhanalah,
  • You can't compare the "chicken world" with the "dog world", it's like comparing apple to oranges.
  • In the chicken world you can have two breeds of chickens with the same identical breed standard except for one is a white fowl and the other is a red fowl...Example--
  • Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White
  • You can also have a breed of fowl with different "types" or "sub-breeds" if you will and the broken down at least three other times.
  • Example --
  • American Gamefowl
  • ---- Roundhead
  • ------Lacy Roundhead

With all the hatcheries and backyard breeders out there today I don't consider any chicken a breed unless there breeding to a breed standard..

• subhanalah,
  • You can't compare the "chicken world" with the "dog world", it's like comparing apple to oranges.
  • In the chicken world you can have two breeds of chickens with the same identical breed standard except for one is a white fowl and the other is a red fowl... Example--
  • Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White
  • You can also have a breed of fowl with different "types" or "sub-breeds" if you will and the broken down at least three other times.
  • Example --
  • American Gamefowl
  • ---- Roundhead
  • ------Lacy Roundhead
With all the hatcheries and backyard breeders out there today I don't consider any chicken a breed unless there breeding to a breed standard..
I see no difference between this and puppy mills. Breeds are breeds.

We could probably debate endlessly when a Chicken breed has enough flaws in it to stop being a "breed". But for purposes of practicality, we use the term "breed" to define a chicken with a particular set of characteristics that make it distinct from other "breeds" or hybrid chickens. For example, if I order a Barred Plymouth Rock from a large hatchery, it will likely not stand up to APA standards, yet it will have all of the characteristics (Black and white barring; red ear lobes; yellow legs, skin, and beak; bay-colored eyes; single comb; etc.) that set it apart from the other "breeds" or hybrids that the nursery sells (nobody is going to mistake that Barred Rock for a White Rock or even a Dominique). Furthermore if I get male and female Barred Rocks from the hatchery and breed them, they will produce offspring that carry these same distinctive traits (no one is going to mistake their offspring for White Rocks or even Dominiques). It may "erk" those who attempt to breed to standard perfection to recognize these hatchery Barred Rocks as breeds, but for the rest of us (and the hatcheries as well) it is a necessary, practical distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom