Is this a Rooster? Can you tell?

sappora

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
We purchased 10 chicks, supposedly hens but now one looks different than the others...they are about 14 weeks old now. Can you tell if this black and white one is a rooster? Thanks for your help in advance!

Thank you everyone. I thought it was, but needed to be sure. These are our first chickens...not sure what to do with him now? We had gotten chickens for the fresh eggs only, not to raise chicks :( I am the type that does not want him to end up on a dinnerplate now that I raised him! Hopefully the other chickens are hens!

If you are allowed to keep him, and are friendly with your neighbors (let them know you have a roo and to let you know if he is too loud) you might want to keep him.

We did our first hatch last year and wouldn't you know the only chick that hatched was Butters the rooster. I tried to find homes for him and they kept falling through. We decided to hang on to him until he became a nuisence either with crowing or attacking. So far, he is very watchful and even stared down a Cooper's Hawk, so he has an upside as flock protector. I just finished putting up soundboard in the coop so he doesn't wake up my son at 430 every morning, which is his downside. He has acted a little aggressive a couple of times, but I catch him up and walk around with him petting his wattles and such and he gets more friendly again. So far more of an upside than not, but time will tell.

Good luck with your guy!

Back
Top Bottom