Is this a rooster or hen? Pics included!

Icrazyaboutu

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
I am so confused with this little one. It sits on eggs with mom and even helps her take care of the babies. It has never crowed and it is almost four months old. It hangs out with the roosters sometimes and I haven't seen any fighting between them...

29102_chickens_008.jpg
This is the only picture of this side... it is in shade.

29102_chickens_007.jpg
This is in the sun

29102_chickens_006.jpg
This is in shade...

29102_chickens_005.jpg
and again

If you can tell its gender please let me know! If you can tell the breed please let me know too! Thanks so much!
Icrazyaboutu

Well it looks like an EE (easter egger). Ameracauna crossed with maybe RIR or production red. Sure is pretty. A little too far away to see if it's a roo or hen. Some close up views will help. But look at the saddle feathers, are they rounded or pointy?, Ameracauna's have little or no wattle, my EE's also have very little wattle. At 4 months though, you should be able to see a good size comb. Also from what I've read and mine support this; they lay late, like 20-22 weeks, so just because it isn't laying yet, don't worry. EE's have a lovely blue, blue-green, green shade egg. It was exciting when we got our first.

I cant tell if the saddle feathers are or are not pointed. I have two more pictures one of each side. Here are the two pics I hope they are closer and better!

29102_chickens_009.jpg

29102_chickens_010.jpg

although, I'd expect to see a more prominent red comb at 16 weeks. Here is a pic of one of mine

32221_dscn0512.jpg

It looks like her saddles are pointy, but it's the inner line or lacing. Her saddles are round, as are her neck feathers. Again I think there should be more red and more comb. She is 16 weeks for this pic

32221_dscn0510.jpg

From the front, pink comb and very pea shaped. Normally Roos are more red then this. Hens don't red up until right before they start laying.

Just MHO, but I still think hen

Back
Top Bottom