Is this a splash chick?

SilkieCharlie

Chirping
Mar 26, 2017
Hi, I recently put two fertile eggs under a broody hen, the mother is a splash silkie. I thought it would be fun to see what colors and genetics I get, seeing as I have 4 coquerals, all mixed, 2 silkies: a blue and a ginger/blue mix and 2 polish x silkie crosses: one looks more like a silkie, has four toes and has black and brown smooth feathers, on the other hand the other looks more like a polish, black and white cuckoo, 5 toes. I was hoping for at least one splash silkie, although chances seemed very low. :D Well, today they hatched, and they are far from what I excepted then to be (i thought maybe blue as most of my birds are that colour). Both have 5 toes, 1 seems like a splash to me.. very light silver with a little yellow. The other is silver, and a tiny copper streak by it's eye. I wonder if the one in the picture is a splash? If so, I find it crazy as that would mean that the father has to be the blue silkie right? I can't believe that by chance, these 2 are splash... Or maybe they are and I was just lucky and picked the right eggs, lol?:lol:
20190421_094923.jpg

No way to tell until they feather out. Chick fluff only shows genetics in the chicken, if the genetics are pure you can get a good estimate. Going to be even harder to determine with a big genetic gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom