Is this a sympton of worms?

Wineart

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA.
Hi BYC peeps, I have a sick Australorp. She is about 5 years old. A few days ago she was walking and all of a sudden her tail would drop. Then she was having issues walking in general. She was sitting very fluffed up. Now two days later she is laying on her side. I have her quarantined now from the other two. I have not seen any worms or lice or mites. However there has been some diarrhea looking poops here and there. Her comb is still red but she is not drinking or eating. I gave her greek yogurt. She only pecked at it once. I have never done any deworming treatments. There were lots of old fruit droppings from the fruit tree. I do not think she is egg bound. The others seem fine but one has lost weight and feathers look disheveled. So those have been concerns too. Water container has been a concern too. They just don't seem to drink much water. So could be stale water? I don't know what to do and to be honest. I would like to try and figure this out before trying to pay several hundred dollars to a vet. Any in put would be helpful. I am going to give her a bath soon. Any words of advice? Here is a photo of her above the area near the vent.

Attachments

• IMG_4945.jpg
    IMG_4945.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 12
Even if it is not worms ( It probably is worms), give it diatomaceous earth and Vet Rx to cure it. Epsom salt would also help it along with a syrup for it to drink which is apple cider vinegar, honey, and warm water. Also put it in a cage with a covered blanket and keep her worm. Best of luck from me!

I would say the poop picture is not a symptom of worms.
One approach would be to get a fecal float done by a lab or your vet before you resort to taking the hen in.
Mucky bums...they happen for many reasons; what gets eaten, heat stress, getting a bit tubby at the rear end, old age just to cite a few possibilities.
What is concerning, assuming the colour is shown true in the picture is the light green poop.
If that was one of my hens I would be considering possible liver or kidney infection or internal laying problems. Stuff like that needs a decent vet.

Even if it is not worms ( It probably is worms), give it diatomaceous earth and Vet Rx to cure it. Epsom salt would also help it along with a syrup for it to drink which is apple cider vinegar, honey, and warm water. Also put it in a cage with a covered blanket and keep her worm. Best of luck from me!
I did mix DE into their feed today. But this girl is not eating a thing. Thank you for the Epsom salt idea.

I would say the poop picture is not a symptom of worms.
One approach would be to get a fecal float done by a lab or your vet before you resort to taking the hen in.
Mucky bums...they happen for many reasons; what gets eaten, heat stress, getting a bit tubby at the rear end, old age just to cite a few possibilities.
What is concerning, assuming the colour is shown true in the picture is the light green poop.
If that was one of my hens I would be considering possible liver or kidney infection or internal laying problems. Stuff like that needs a decent vet.

The other concern is that the other chickens are not quite themselves too. One has lost quite a bit of weight. I will look into getting a fecal float done. Appreciate your input.

There are many things that can happen to a 5 year old bird and cause the symptoms you describe. A sick bird may not drink much or eat much. I understand not wanting a big vet expense. There are mail in fecal tests that you could do to answer whether you have a parasite problem: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20
Are your birds eating the rotting fruit? Could cause stomach upset and diarrhea, I'd try to clean that up. If the water isn't just nasty, that probably isn't the issue either. But water should be clean and fresh as much as possible. This time of year worn feathers are common if they haven't molted yet. Not always a good idea to bathe a sick bird either, they can become hypothermic very easily. I would just try to clean up her rear for now, until you have a better idea what's going on with her. Same with worming a sick bird. If it isn't worms, then worming won't help and it's hard on them. DE is not going to take care of parasites, and I'm not sure what the poster meant by epsom salts. I would not give her epsom salts orally, it will cause diarhea and is dehydrating, you already have a bird not drinking. I would give electrolites (sav-a-chick, pedialite, gatorade) and try to get her hydrated again. Check her abdomen for any bloating, between the legs and below the vent. Check her crop, is it empty, full, hard, soft, squishy, etc.

Epsom salts can be used in poultry as a laxative when mixed in feed if a bird is eating. If the bird isnt eating, it can be mixed in water to drink.
In this instance I dont recommend epsom salts at all. No need for sick bird to lose nutrients via diarrhea.
Personally, I'd never use epsom salts in a bird. There are easier and better supplements/laxatives to provide if needed.
I agree with Coach723, take a fecal sample to a vet or do a mail-in and have them take a look at it under a microscope, shouldnt cost much. DE, ACV, VetRx wont do anything to treat worms.
There's more going on with your bird even if it has worms.

Back
Top Bottom