Is this behavior normal or is it just a mean roo?

debakadeb

Songster
14 Years
Apr 8, 2008
SW Indiana
Is it normal for a rooster to grab hold of a hen with its beak and hang on for a few minutes. My new birds are about 16 weeks old right now -- seems like mean behavior to me. Of the 5 roos that I ended up with, this one seems to be the most dominent.

Quote:
I would say he's trying to figure out the mating ritual. Sounds normal to me. But he should only hold on for a few seconds.
tongue.png

Thanks! This is the first time I've had roosters so am not sure what should be 'acceptable' behavior and what is 'unacceptable.'

Quote:
I have a youg roo that will catch some of the older girls by surprise. When it's all over and the girls see who done it, they kick the crap out of poor Lil' Forrest. We yell "Run Forrest! Run!"
lol.png

We yell "Run Forrest! Run!"lol

lau.gif
lau.gif
OH my gosh that is funny. I may have to borrow your name LOL That name so fits him becasue he acts just a bit limpy sometimes and he's SO clumsy. He was left in his shell for four days after zipping so he's a little "off" but alive after I helped him out. I'm afraid he may never "get it"​

Quote:
I have a youg roo that will catch some of the older girls by surprise. When it's all over and the girls see who done it, they kick the crap out of poor Lil' Forrest. We yell "Run Forrest! Run!"
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
I love both of your posts. I don't think my young roos have had an opportunity to mate with the big girls. They still are very intimidating to the youngsters
smile.png

I have a 5 month old golden cuckoo marans roo. He is trying to figure it out too, but he is very nice about it. He very gently grabs a hens cheek (maybe that's where the term "peck on the cheek" came from) and the hen turns around and beats the daylights out of him. Poor guy.

Poor roos. Everything thinks roos are the mean ones of the chicken world, but until the hens get good and ready the poor boys have a miserable time of it.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom