Is this bumble foot?

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
My Buff Duck Dash has had this on her foot for a while now. We treated it as if it was bumblefoot for a few weeks. No nugget ever came out, and it just kept scabbing over. It’s never been warm, she’s never been limping, hasn’t grown, or gotten smaller, but it’s yet to go away. It’s in the 20’s here, so don’t want to keep soaking her, having her go in and out of the house with the temperature fluctuations if it’s not needed.

Attachments

• A09ED181-3655-4D0E-8DCA-E800B9B53476.png
    A09ED181-3655-4D0E-8DCA-E800B9B53476.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
My Buff Duck Dash has had this on her foot for a while now. We treated it as if it was bumblefoot for a few weeks. No nugget ever came out, and it just kept scabbing over. It’s never been warm, she’s never been limping, hasn’t grown, or gotten smaller, but it’s yet to go away. It’s in the 20’s here, so don’t want to keep soaking her, having her go in and out of the house with the temperature fluctuations if it’s not needed.
yes

It appears it may be the beginning of it, yes. Oftentimes, the sore doesn't escalate to anything and remains the same. However, if you are worried it may develop into something more serious, continue on soaking her feet in Epsom salt water, or in an antiseptic/water mix.

Bumblefoot (Pododermatitis) has a wide variety of causes, but two main predisposing factors in poultry is rough/unforgiving bedding that promotes degradation, and ulceration of the squamous epidermis, resulting in bacterial invasion. Objects that may poke through the skin and allow an entrance for bacteria is also a common cause. Understand these causes so you can better prevent the problem in the future.

It appears it may be the beginning of it, yes. Oftentimes, the sore doesn't escalate to anything and remains the same. However, if you are worried it may develop into something more serious, continue on soaking her feet in Epsom salt water, or in an antiseptic/water mix.

Bumblefoot (Pododermatitis) has a wide variety of causes, but two main predisposing factors in poultry is rough/unforgiving bedding that promotes degradation, and ulceration of the squamous epidermis, resulting in bacterial invasion. Objects that may poke through the skin and allow an entrance for bacteria is also a common cause. Understand these causes so you can better prevent the problem in the future.

Is there any danger to her if we don't do anything? Meaning, if I just wait and see what happens, may it go away on its own? The run is pine pellets/sand/some straw, and a small area under the coop (I have them in with the chickens) is dirt with some wood chips (which have mostly disintegrated.) She may have walked on something sharp, but at most that would be a twig? Rock? while free ranging.

Is there any danger to her if we don't do anything? Meaning, if I just wait and see what happens, may it go away on its own? The run is pine pellets/sand/some straw, and a small area under the coop (I have them in with the chickens) is dirt with some wood chips (which have mostly disintegrated.) She may have walked on something sharp, but at most that would be a twig? Rock? while free ranging.

Sadly, it's hard to tell. I have a few hens where the bumblefoot has stayed localized, and minimal, but other times the infection can spread, and develop further. If she's not too hard to deal with, maybe just soak for a few more days, and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom