Is this bumble foot?

Magichand

Hatching
Dec 5, 2023
Hey y'all. I noticed this lady Cayuga duck limping. Then later in the day she could not climb out of their swimming hole in the creek. Found an absess about the size of a quarter in the foot. It does not have any visible scabs. Although black is hard to discern on her already black foot. I immediately quarantined her. Have been giving warm Epsom salt baths daily. Along with spraying vetracyn on the problem area.

She was initially pretty out of it when I quarantined her. But after a few hours she perked up and is behaving very duck like. She is eating and drinking normally and has even laid an egg. The swelling does not seem to be reducing in size, it also does not seem to be growing and her general demeanor is still normal for a duck. Lots of content squeaks and quacks.

It's been 2.5 days of quarantine, and I'm thinking if she isn't showing significant signs of improvement by the end of 5 days it's probably time to cut out the infection.

Am I on the right track? And do these pictures look like bumble foot to you?

Attachments

• PXL_20231205_233104484.jpg
    PXL_20231205_233104484.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20231205_233129589.jpg
    PXL_20231205_233129589.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20231205_233141426.jpg
    PXL_20231205_233141426.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 13
Bumblefoot almost always has a black scab and whilst it's hard to see on a black foot, I don't see any, yet, what else could it be? Maybe it's an early case of it.

Does it feel hot to you and is it hard or soft? If it's warm/hot, and whether hard or soft, there's probably some infection in there.

What I would do is put PRID (drawing salve) on after your Epsom salt soaking and try wrap it with gauze over the PRID with vet wrap. I'd try that for a day or two before considering lancing it as it just might pull out the infection or bring it to the surface so you can get to it easier.

Bumblefoot almost always has a black scab and whilst it's hard to see on a black foot, I don't see any, yet, what else could it be? Maybe it's an early case of it.

Does it feel hot to you and is it hard or soft? If it's warm/hot, and whether hard or soft, there's probably some infection in there.

What I would do is put PRID (drawing salve) on after your Epsom salt soaking and try wrap it with gauze over the PRID with vet wrap. I'd try that for a day or two before considering lancing it as it just might pull out the infection or bring it to the surface so you can get to it easier.
It does feel hot to the touch. There are some soft and hard spots, it doesn't feel like a big hard mass.

Yeah the lack of an obvious initial wound is what led me to ask the question here.
Pretty clearly not a broken bone . I'll try the prid and see if it does anything!

It does feel hot to the touch. There are some soft and hard spots, it doesn't feel like a big hard mass.

Yeah the lack of an obvious initial wound is what led me to ask the question here.
Pretty clearly not a broken bone . I'll try the prid and see if it does anything!
I hope that works! It should do something. Keep us posted! Someone else may just come along with an idea or insight too.

By the way, welcome to BYC!! :frow

Back
Top Bottom