Is this Chick Frizzle?

Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
Hello all,
I have started my Serama breeding program and had my first egg hatch a week before Christmas, one of my hens hatched 2 sweet babies. I have one Pullet and One Cockerel. Both the parents are smooth feathered however this little Pullet looks like maybe she's a frizzle? I dont have any exp. with Frizzle feathers so I am hoping someone can help. Thank you!

Attachments

• Frizzle.jpg
    Frizzle.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 45
Super unlikel

Not frizzled, just low feather quality. Frizzled feathers always have an outwards curve to the feather, which these lack. They seem to point normally on the body, and are just ragged.
Thank you, what could cause this? I have pulled her as she was getting picked on a bit but I do not want to breed any that have a low quality the parents have nice feathers did she just not win the genetics lottery? She has a very sweet temperament and will make a nice pet

Thank you, what could cause this? I have pulled her as she was getting picked on a bit but I do not want to breed any that have a low quality the parents have nice feathers did she just not win the genetics lottery? She has a very sweet temperament and will make a nice pet

Adolescent feather quality isn't always excellent. They don't always take good care of their feathers. Is she an ayam/extreme? Those can have some difficulty getting to certain parts of their body and cleaning them. I wouldn't cull her from her breeding programme based on her current feather quality. Adult feather quality is something to be taken into account when choosing your breeders, but at this stage I think temperament and conformation is more important

Adolescent feather quality isn't always excellent. They don't always take good care of their feathers. Is she an ayam/extreme? Those can have some difficulty getting to certain parts of their body and cleaning them. I wouldn't cull her from her breeding programme based on her current feather quality. Adult feather quality is something to be taken into account when choosing your breeders, but at this stage I think temperament and conformation is more important
Thanks!! She is a Serama its good to hear that perhaps her adults feathers will be better I will update when she is older she's so sweet I really hope her adult feathers come in nice!

Thanks!! She is a Serama its good to hear that perhaps her adults feathers will be better I will update when she is older she's so sweet I really hope her adult feathers come in nice!

Hopefully they do. Keeping her for longer seems like a good plan. Do you have any full body shots of the parents and her? That will put to rest if she's an ayam or a "traditional"

Hopefully they do. Keeping her for longer seems like a good plan. Do you have any full body shots of the parents and her? That will put to rest if she's an ayam or a "traditional"
I will see about getting some good photos of them I believe they are traditional body type Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom