Bear4Bee

Chirping
Oct 14, 2023
Hello!

I’m always trying to be aware and on top of if my flock has anything wrong with them.
And thank the LORD Jesus, that He has kept them safe from all and has healed a bad case of bumble foot!

So, I’m trying to determine if one of my chicks may have coccidiosis or just stressed.

She was bought from a Rural King last night, and she is about a week old. She had a little poop on the bathroom counter when I was cleaning a bit of pasty butt (Warm water and q-tip method).
Her poop was a mostly normal, but had a part that was a bit stringy and a faint tint of red in the stringy part.

She is fairly active, no more sleepy than the other chicks. She wants to be part of the flock and is eating well. So no other symptoms other than poop.

The babies are eating an organic non medicated feed and had plain fresh water, but they are about to have their first apple cider vinegar water.

Please let me know!
I’d really love to keep them unmedicated if I don’t have to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3194.jpeg
    IMG_3194.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3193.jpeg
    IMG_3193.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 21
A couple of chicks just hatched in my flock and one of them did a couple of poops that looked like this but it was when they were <1 day old, not exposed to soil yet, and as soon as the yolk was absorbed they have been doing textbook normal poops.

If it were me and I didn’t want to medicate unless absolutely necessary I would wait a day but if I saw any more abnormal or consistently abnormal poops I would medicate. At the very least do a preventative dose if not the whole treatment course.

My rule is usually once I see three poops from chicks that could indicate coccidiosis I then medicate. And if that doesn’t resolve it, I deworm.

My chicks are hatched by broodies though and are outside within the first couple of days of life.

Back
Top Bottom