Is this cocidiosis? New chick mama

boch boch

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2017
Central Colorado (8300 ft)
I have 4 chicks 3 are healthy and growing and 1 is eating and drinking but not growing. I got at them 5 days ago.
I have tried many times to load a picture of her and her poop but after 2 hrs of it not loading or having no link to load I'm done.
1f621.png

The little ones poop Is kinda runny, clay brown colored. Not bloody.

The others poop is very normal.

I'm currently using savAChick electrolytes and probiotics.
If I use Corid is the kind for calves? How much and how long?

I have 4 chicks 3 are healthy and growing and 1 is eating and drinking but not growing. I got at them 5 days ago.
I have tried many times to load a picture of her and her poop but after 2 hrs of it not loading or having no link to load I'm done.
1f621.png

The little ones poop Is kinda runny, clay brown colored. Not bloody.

The others poop is very normal.

I'm currently using savAChick electrolytes and probiotics.
If I use Corid is the kind for calves? How much and how long?

Are you uploading from a phone or computer? Maybe try asking this question under the emergencies forum as well! People are really helpful there. You may be able to have a vet take some stool to test if you want to go that far! I am a new chick mama too, girls arrive tonight! Wish I could help more!

Thanks ChxLadyCass, I tried to upload from both computer and my phone. So odd. I could not find a link for it on my phone and when I tried on my computer it just sat there thinking for 2 hours after multiple attempts. :/

I'm keeping a close eye on the flock and if not better tomorrow I'm going to start Corid. The little girl has started eating better and her poop seems better YAH! But now the others seem to have the same runny poop issue. I spoke to a vet today about the test and I may be running a fecal sample in. :)

THanks!

How is that little one acting? If it's acting fine, and eating/drinking well, it may just need a kick start to it's gut flora. You can best accomplish that by giving fermented feed, and a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. Poultry Nutri-Drench is by far (IMO) the most important product to have available for new chicks. You can put a bit in their water to make it the color of weak tea, but be sure to change out the water every day. What are you using for a heat source? How big is your brooder? What is the temp under the heat, and at the other end of the brooder? Are you able to keep the bedding nice and dry?

How is that little one acting? If it's acting fine, and eating/drinking well, it may just need a kick start to it's gut flora. You can best accomplish that by giving fermented feed, and a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. Poultry Nutri-Drench is by far (IMO) the most important product to have available for new chicks. You can put a bit in their water to make it the color of weak tea, but be sure to change out the water every day. What are you using for a heat source? How big is your brooder? What is the temp under the heat, and at the other end of the brooder? Are you able to keep the bedding nice and dry?
Scratch this question. I have become so reliant on BYC, I forgot about Google!
lau.gif

Is Nutri-Drench an electrolyte? In case the feed stores don't have this brand, I want to be sure I have this on hand in some form. Thank you!

Last edited:
No, it is not an electrolyte. It is a multi vitamin formulated for poultry. It bypasses the digestive system, and is absorbed directly into the blood stream. IMO, it's the most important item to have on hand for getting chicks off to a good start. Add to that, fermented feed, a heating pad brooder, lots of space, and a plug of sod, and you have all of the "important chick stuff!" IMO

No, it is not an electrolyte. It is a multi vitamin formulated for poultry. It bypasses the digestive system, and is absorbed directly into the blood stream. IMO, it's the most important item to have on hand for getting chicks off to a good start. Add to that, fermented feed, a heating pad brooder, lots of space, and a plug of sod, and you have all of the "important chick stuff!" IMO
PERFECT!
I think I have it all if I can get some then! What about spacing for chicks? I have an old feeder tank that is 3 ft in diameter for 2 chicks, but I have 2 more chicks coming next Friday. Will that be big enough? I have other options I can clean out over the weekend and swap out no problem if it's too small. It seems tight with the MHP, food, water, and sod. I do have a playpen for them outside as well that's about 23'X3'.

Back
Top Bottom