Is this Dominicker or Barred Rock? Hen or rooster?

melissathib

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
DeRidder, Louisiana
Purchased on May 21 and was told she was around 4 weeks old. Seller told me she is a Dominicker hen, but after research, I'm not sure. Also, not sure if this is a hen or rooster. Thanks for the help!

It's a Barred. :) As for the gender, pick through it's tail... If the feathers come to a point and aren't very defined, its a rooster. If the feathers are defined and are squared or rounded at the ends, its a pullet... Males also have and arch in the tail. Female's tails create a fan and will be straight...

Let me know what you find! :) (It honestly looks like pullet to me though. But it's hard for me to tell. Pick through the tail and see what you get.)

Here's a picture of my barred when she was roughly a couple months older than yours currently is... In case that can help you eyeball it. :)

This one looks like a black sex link cockerel.

Your seller was all over the place, wasn't she
hmm.png

Seems like! She probably knew I was new at this and just said what sounded convincing! I know the breeds don't matter so much, but I really didn't want roosters. If this is one, too, that'll make at least 2. This one and the other are already bowing up at each other, so I'm afraid you may be right about this one. Ugh!

Do any of these pictures help anyone decide if I have a pullet or a cockerel? Sure hoping for pullet, but I've already been disappointed to learn it isn't a Dominicker. I'll deal with whatever info you give me.
big_smile.png

No, she/he isn't partial to being picked up, much less picked through! She/he has started making clucking sounds, so maybe? Thanks for the video link! I'll check when I get back home. Maybe I can just follow her/him around and see :)

Well, I watched the video and am disheartened. Apparently, she is a he! But now I'm questioning another one of my babies. According to the video information about tail feathers, the one pictured below is a rooster. I posted about her/him on another thread and the consensus was that she is an Easter Egger pullet. But the tail looks like rooster tails in the video. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom