Is this early BUMBLEFOOT? (pics) If so... how to treat at this stage?

ok, here I go... I live in Michigan where we have had TONS of snow and bitter cold lately. I am transitioning 5 chicks to the outside. They are Faverolles to boot! The standard Cockerill, I moved from the cage in the barn with a light to the show coop. I found him yesterday standing in the water dish. I picked him up, flipped him over and YUCK! His feet were swollen, red, and had HUGE blistery bubbles on his feet! They were NOT this way when I put him in here. Since he was wet from sitting in the heated water bowl, I wrapped him in a towel and ran him in the house. I put him in a clean guinea pig cage with no wire flooring, just sawdust with the powdered antibiotics I have to put in the water. I went in the basement this morning only to be about knocked over by the putrid smell! The blisters had all popped, he now has raw skin/flesh between his toes and on the pads of his feet. I made a batch of epson salt water, soaked and cleaned what I could for about 10 minutes, then wrapped him in an old towel while I cleaned (nearly gaggin) the cage. I put one of those blue pad things on the bottom and covered that with paper towel, put him back in there with chick food and medicated water. He has seemed to perk up and is hobbling between food and water dishes. I am checking my other Faverolles 2x a day and so far no one is showing any signs of it. (THANK GOD) Anyone had any luck with Vetrocyn? I am thinking I will try the sugardine solution if he makes it through the night and try soaking again tonight along with wrapping.

Just so you know, I have since rinsed out, bleached and rinsed again the water bowl to make sure the staph doesn't transfer to my breeders. Should I medicate them all just in case? Dang it! my 1st place show bantam roo is in there! Pray for me that I caught it in time!

Quote:
Very helpful, the thing I used worked in two days, it's called banixx wound care, my hen had a minor case of bumblefoot, no pics but I sprayed it, rubbed it in and bandaged it. She was limping before but after two days of treating she's fine.

I am new to the forum and am so glad there are people who love chickens like I do!!! I have an American Leghorn who is 2 years old. She has developed a swollen foot over the last 2 months. I honestly thought at first that she was born that way and I just never noticed it but yesterday I touched it and it was warm where her other foot was cool
hmm.png
It hasn't gotten any better or any worse and there are no lesions or scabs on the underside. She doesn't limp or hold the leg up and she is "walked" about an hour a day. Otherwise, she is in a coop with a pen attached and scratches in dirt and rocks regularly. We only have 2 hens and in our area, the summer has been brutal with temps over 100 several times this summer. Consequently, I have given them "wading pans" which has cool water that they use to cool off. The water is changed 2-3 times a day as they poop in it. Could this be the cause? I have been taking a "wait and see" approach but do not want to wait too long. Should I do anything at this point to treat the swelling?

106724_eva_foot.jpg

Last edited:
We have no vets in our area that treat chickens
sad.png
so other than BYC and our local feed stores, I have no medical options. The lady at the feed store told me to give both our hens duramycin and that will fix the one hen's swollen foot and won't hurt the other hen. She explained that I was to put the antibiotic in a gallon of water. When that gallon was gone, put a fresh, untreated gallon of water out to the hens. When the second, untreated gallon of water was drank, we could resume eating the eggs. Is this a good treatment for my hen's swollen foot or should I bathe her foot in Epsom Salts (there is no lesion or scab at this point) or should I continue to monitor the foot only? I am confused!!!!

I am sorry... I don't know the answer to your question.

This is more or less a bump, but I am going to suggest that you make a new thread for your hen, because this one is so old, I don't know if anyone is seeing it.
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
[Even though it's much later: Posting this note in case it's helpful with future Bumblefoot problems]

It sounds like the feed store employee wasn't knowledgeable enough.

Duramycin has to be mixed fresh daily to be really effective.

And Duramycin won't treat a Staph infection, and Bumblefoot is a Staph infection.

There is some info in the "Treat Bumblefoot Infection" section on the Poultry Podiatry page on my website linked in my sig below. The section isn't comprehensive, but does have some helpful information.

LATER CORRECTION:

I have recently learned that Tetracycline medicines (Duramycin is one) CAN treat SOME Staph infections. I'm very sorry for posting mis-information earlier!

Informative quotes from other sources--
"Staphylococcus Infections in Broiler Breeders" - article in Aviatech:
The majority of S. aureus isolated from poultry are sensitive to penicillin but sensitivity tests should always be performed, as antibiotic resistance is common. Penicillin resistance may develop quickly in birds undergoing treatment, so it may be beneficial to switch to another antibiotic after five to seven days of penicillin therapy. Other water-soluble antibiotics that may be effective include erythromycin, lincomycin and tetracyclines. If the problem is specifically in males, it may be worth considering the use of an injectable, long-acting antibiotic. Consult your poultry veterinarian for advice on antibiotic selection, as some antibiotics can only be used when prescribed by a licensed veterinarian.
"Poultry Diseases" – Jordan:
Control – Birds in the early stages of infection and disease may respond to treatment but those with well established lesions are unlikely to respond. S. Aureus in inherently a rather resistant organism. Penicillin, streptomycin, tetracyclines, erythromycin, novobiocin, sulphonamide, lincomycin, spectinomycin and fluoroquinolones have all been used with some success, but antibiotic resistance is common.

I've been dealing with bumblefoot on a few of my hens. One has it on her toe, should I lance the toe to get the gunk out ? I got the plug out on the bottom, but I couldn't seem to get anything to come out. I hate cuting on them if I don't have to. With Ruby I let it go too long. I didn't know what it was and it's taken a bit to get it under control. I don't want to do that again. I check them now.

I am currently treating a rooster with Bumblefoot in one toe. I'll try to add some relevant new info to the Poultry Podiatry page soon & post a notice on this thread after I do.
I hope you'll be able to stop problems early with your hens.

Back
Top Bottom