is this egg fertile? (pic)

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
I know what a not fertile egg looks like and thought when I saw a fertile one I would know it for sure. But this one looks different to me. I put a rooster with some hens a few days ago.

That looks very weird.. doesn't look fertile to me
idunno.gif
I might add that I am extremely jealous that you live in Hawaii..so not fair
rant.gif
smile.png

A fertile egg will have a small red dot in the egg white which is a cluster of blood vessels that the chick will develop from.

From what I see Christie, the egg in the picture is fertile as it looks like the ovum has fused with the sperm and the blastoderm appears well formed.

A non fertilized egg blastodisc would appear flat, faint and undefined almost like a colorless small circle or dot.

Last edited:
That looks like a fertile egg to me. I get plenty of them!! Never heard of the blood spot fertile egg though.. Well done Mr Roo :)

Q: What Causes Blood Spots?
A: Small spots of blood (sometimes called "meat" spots) are occasionally found in an egg yolk. These do not indicate a fertile egg; they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg. Most eggs with blood spots are removed during the grading process but a few may escape detection. As an egg ages, water moves from the albumen into the yolk, diluting the blood spot. Thus, a visible blood spot actually indicates a fresh egg. Such eggs are suitable for consumption. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.
Alright, I was wrong I'm glad you guys pointed that out or I would have thought a blood spot meant a fertile egg for the rest of my life haha. Anyways, now I know. Next time I crack an egg from my RIR i guess I will actually know if its fertile before incubating.

I'm on day 16 now with a setting, I bought some eggs but I collected a dozen from some of my own young hens while I waited. These girls were just hatched in june so I wasn't sure about fertility. Also, they are free to roam as they like and I only close the coop at night.
I cracked open one egg just to see and it looked identical to your picture, and the other 11 are due for lockdown superbowl sunday.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom