Is this frost bite

Floofyfoots

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2023
We live in Arizona so it hasn’t gotten cold here maybe lowest 65-70 at night just recently and I noticed one of our chickens comb is getting black. I know how important chickens combs are and especially in the summer since it helps regulate body temperature. He’s the only one we have with the largest comb. Is this frost bite ? Can we do anything to prevent it? Any way this can improve and get better?

Attachments

• IMG_4250.jpeg
    IMG_4250.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 89
I'm in Northwest Indiana (Chicago area) and I can say this...no, that is not cold enough for frostbite. Frostbite happens when the skin essentially freezes, or frozen crystals form in the skin cells. This could be a sign of some kind of infection, or respiratory or circulatory distress. You should probably check him and other birds in your flock for signs/symptoms of illness....I hope everything turns out okay.

I'm in Northwest Indiana (Chicago area) and I can say this...no, that is not cold enough for frostbite. Frostbite happens when the skin essentially freezes, or frozen crystals form in the skin cells. This could be a sign of some kind of infection, or respiratory or circulatory distress. You should probably check him and other birds in your flock for signs/symptoms of illness....I hope everything turns out okay.
Hey thank you for responding. I want to say it barely started but I was thinking it can’t be the cold when it’s really not cold here yet. Our other 5 chickens don’t have big of a comb as him and there’s look normal. Thank you again!

I 100% agree with your statement. I live in Minnesota, and I too know frostbite too well.

We live in Arizona so it hasn’t gotten cold here maybe lowest 65-70 at night just recently and I noticed one of our chickens comb is getting black. I know how important chickens combs are and especially in the summer since it helps regulate body temperature. He’s the only one we have with the largest comb. Is this frost bite ? Can we do anything to prevent it? Any way this can improve and get better?
no it’s not .. it’s just normal blood circulation that isn’t reaching that area it’s common in bigger broader combs in rooster my rooster had a half of his comb gets blackened in winter and gets all red when he plays he have the biggest floppy comb lol it’s normal

no it’s not .. it’s just normal blood circulation that isn’t reaching that area it’s common in bigger broader combs in rooster my rooster had a half of his comb gets blackened in winter and gets all red when he plays he have the biggest floppy comb lol it’s normal
Thank you ! This is our first time owning chickens so I’m just making sure I catch things before it gets worse, or just try to prevent it if I can.

Back
Top Bottom