Is this illegal?

Stoney22

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
new hampshire
can someone post the chicken ordinances for Concord, New Hampshire. i want to know if there is a limit of birds and if roosters are illegal. i know hens are not because others in the neighborhood have hens but i got a rooster yesterday ( i looked and couldnt find anywhere that said it was a no go on the rooster) and he never crowed at the previous owners home then i get him here and hes crowing his head off. so is it illegal to have a rooster in concord new hampshire? and is there a limit on number of hens? i have 5 now.

This is all I could find in the municode for your city/town

13-1-5 - Pig Pens, Chicken Coops, Barnyards.

No person shall keep or use any hog pen, goat pen, chicken coop, or barnyard so near to any highway, park, or other public place, as to be offensive, or a menace, to the public health, or offensive, or a menace to any person residing on an adjoining or abutting lot, nor shall a hog pen, goat pen, chicken coop, or barnyard be kept in such a condition as to allow the contents therefrom, to be discharged upon said adjacent or abutting lot, or upon any street, lane, park, alley or other public place in this City, and no person shall keep, or permit to be kept any rooster upon any premises situated within that part of the City zoned other than rural or watershed.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=10210&stateID=29&statename=New%20Hampshire
Above
is the code book, I am searching for the part with chickens.

ETA:

as for roosters...
http://library.municode.com/showDoc...ECO_CH13PUHE_ART13-1GEPUHERE_13-1-5PIPECHCOBA

13-1-5
No person shall keep or use any hog pen, goat pen, chicken coop, or barnyard so near to any highway, park, or other public place, as to be offensive, or a menace, to the public health, or offensive, or a menace to any person residing on an adjoining or abutting lot, nor shall a hog pen, goat pen, chicken coop, or barnyard be kept in such a condition as to allow the contents therefrom, to be discharged upon said adjacent or abutting lot, or upon any street, lane, park, alley or other public place in this City, and no person shall keep, or permit to be kept any rooster upon any premises situated within that part of the City zoned other than rural or watershed.

Last edited:
I found the numbers!

Keeping of Livestock or Poultry as Pets. Livestock and poultry may only be kept as an accessory use to, and on the premises with, a single-family residence. The following regulations shall apply to the keeping of livestock or poultry as pets:

(1)

Enclosure or Structure Required. All livestock or poultry kept or raised as pets shall be kept within an enclosure or structure and not be permitted to roam free. Enclosures or structures for livestock or poultry, and manure storage areas shall not be located within fifty (50) feet of any lot line.

(2)

Minimum Lot Size.

a.

A lot where livestock is kept or raised as pets shall be a minimum of two (2) acres in size for the first animal, except in the Open Space Residential (RO) District where one (1) acre is required for the first animal. In all districts there shall be an additional one (1) acre of lot area provided for each additional animal, and

b.

A lot where poultry is kept or raised as pets shall be a minimum of one (1) acre in size and up to five (5) fowl may be accommodated on the minimum lot. There shall be an additional one-fifth (1/5) acre of lot area provided for each additional fowl.

and here is the link for the the long form:
http://library.municode.com/showDoc...=1#TITIVZOCO_CH28ZOOR_ART28-5SUST_28-5-33KEPE

I am online on my cell phone and do not own a computer. I think were I am is considered rural but I am not sure. I am located where the Merrimack river is met by the contoocook river, I believe its considered east concord and is bordered by the town of boscawen.

i beleive it to be an acre and one half and i have 8 ducks and 4hens plus the roo, but everybody loves the ducks so im debating on whether or not to get rid of the roo?

Back
Top Bottom