Is this MG or something else???

Hatching Addict

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2015
Texas
I moved 3 hens and a rooster, that are 6 months old, Sunday evening to a new pen. Monday morning, I noticed that one of the hens was sneezing. She had clear fluid coming from her nose, and she was sneezing so hard that she even had a few small clear bubbles in the corner of one eye.

So I separated her and put her in an empty elevated rabbit coop that wasn't being used. After doing some research, I was beginning to think that she had MG.

This morning (Tuesday) she seemed better. She was only sneezing occasionally. We even found an egg she had laid in the cage. By this afternoon she is not sneezing and doesn't have any nasal drainage or eye bubbles....nothing.

My question is would MG start causing symptoms on one day, and then quit on its own the next day? I have not medicated her. From my understanding MG is a virus and they don't just go away after 36 hours....do they?

Again I do not know that she has MG...I have never had any of birds tested for it. But the symptoms sure pointed to it. But it seems strange they would just go away???

Any thoughts or suggestions would sure be appreciated?

I would just watch her. She may have been sneezing due to something environmental or from dust or mold. MG is mycoplasma, more similar to a bacteria, but not a virus. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injectable given orally or as an injection may be helpful for symptoms. Infectious bronchitis, another common disease is viral and can cause sneezing and a runny nose. MG is more likely to cause bubbles in the eye.

I checked her again this morning and she looks fine.
The pen I moved her in is a chain link pen with a hot wire around it and a cover on top. I haven't built a coop for them yet, and since it is hot weather I just fixed up a place for them to roost at night. They also have a shelter they can get in if it starts raining. There hadn't been other chickens in the pen for well over a week, and then it was just a couple of roosters. Our ground has a lot of red sand in it and when it is dry...like now...it's dusty. Could the dust from taking dust baths have caused all of this?
I'm extremely happy that she is better, but just confused as to what caused this.

Thanks Eggcessive for your reply and suggestions! I will definitely keep her up for a while to make sure all is well.

Back
Top Bottom