Is this mites/lice or nothing to worry about? Help!

I'm going for feather picking due to stress.
It could be feather mite but I doubt it. If the feather shafts at their base are clean and you can't see any mites moving around in their feathers, I would rule mites and lice out.
Have the chickens been moved to a new coop after the death of your grandpa?
Any major changes in their routine, including who feeds them and how can cause stress related feather picking as can overcrowded coop conditions and changes in their environment.
Extra protein in their diet is unlikely to make any difference. Time to adjust to any new conditions, or even a different from normal feed might.
This is so helpful!! Yes the chickens have moved to a totally different house 1 hour away. They don’t get to free range much at all anymore, and their space is smaller than it used to be. It’s been about 3-4 months now that they have been at my house. Absolutely everything has changed for them.

Anyone see that red hen picture with that hard looking stuff at her vent? Is that just like dried poop?
That's what it looks like.
If their keeping circumstances have changed from mainly ranging to mainly contained and particularly if their coop has less room than they were used to then you can expect health and behavioural problems. Like many creatures, chickens like routine.
Try to get them out of the coop and run onto natural ground where they can dust bathe and forage. You may have to supervise them when out and about.
If you can feed them whatever your grandfather fed them, same brand.
Treats are fine. It's the type of treat that's important, not some ratio.
A cubic inch of drained tinned mackerel a few times a week will give them a complete protein boost, as will lean meat and most types of fish.
The poop on the feathers can be cleaned off by rolling the feathers between your thumb and forefinger if its dry. If it has set very hard pressure from a finger nail will usually break it enough to remove.

That's what it looks like.
If their keeping circumstances have changed from mainly ranging to mainly contained and particularly if their coop has less room than they were used to then you can expect health and behavioural problems. Like many creatures, chickens like routine.
Try to get them out of the coop and run onto natural ground where they can dust bathe and forage. You may have to supervise them when out and about.
If you can feed them whatever your grandfather fed them, same brand.
Treats are fine. It's the type of treat that's important, not some ratio.
A cubic inch of drained tinned mackerel a few times a week will give them a complete protein boost, as will lean meat and most types of fish.
The poop on the feathers can be cleaned off by rolling the feathers between your thumb and forefinger if its dry. If it has set very hard pressure from a finger nail will usually break it enough to remove.
Thank you!! This is incredibly helpful and I appreciate it so much.

Back
Top Bottom